Exporting a large GeoTiff?

LouisaLouisa Posts: 4
I am trying to export GeoTiff of Northern Ghana in order to use use it as a terrain texture in Cinema 4D. The Global Mapper exporter does not move anywhere. I tried exporting with 15 x 15 tiles, thinking that will make it easier with smaller chunks, but no luck.

Has anyone successfully exported a geotiff (full colour) of a size of the upper half of Ghana? Am I missing something when exporting? There must be a way!

Thanks for any feedback
Tagged:

Best Answer

• BillBBillB Global Mapper User Posts: 82
    Answer ✓
    Hi Louisa

In our experience (as users) the time taken to export such images will depend on:

a) imagery data source - these are often downloaded at a slow rate from the data supplier; and
    b) output resolution. 

The default export resolution can sometimes be very fine (eg 0.5m/pixel) because the source data is capable of that level of detail.  Presumably if you want to model half a country, you don't need the finest available resolution.  I appreciate that it depends what quality/proximity of 3d imagery you are trying to show in Cinema 4D (eg flying over it at 10,000 feet, or a ground-level view.

Anyway, if you try playing with the export scale and resolution, and see if you can output at say 1:250,000 at 72dpi, or else state a pixel size of 100m, you can start to see what is possible. Then you could increase the export resolution (and the consequent download time) until you find something acceptable.

Hope that helps.

Answers

• LouisaLouisa Posts: 4
    Just to add, I left exporter overnight, still 0% completed
    Will try!!! Great to hear your feedback, Bill. Thank you
    BillB said:
    Anyway, if you try playing with the export scale and resolution, and see if you can output at say 1:250,000 at 72dpi, or else state a pixel size of 100m, you can start to see what is possible. Then you could increase the export resolution (and the consequent download time) until you find something acceptable.

Changing these settings works! The green bar finally moves:)