Global Mapper v24.0

The white raster background

Hi All, Kindly, could anyone let me know how do I get rid of a white background that appears with the exported image by Global Mapper, and opened in other software such as Erdas? Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    All exported raster images will be rectangular.  Any included areas that are not covered by your data will be exported with the currently defined background color.  Sounds like yours is presently white.  I use pink, as a color unlikely to be in my data, so I can readily notice undefined areas.  The raster export dialog may include a transparent option, depending upon your choice of export format, so that the file can be included in other programs and any undefined areas will not obscure background layers. 
  • BillB
    BillB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi, if you want to make the background to an exported image transparent, choose either PNG or GeoTiff formats.  In the export dialog check "Make Background (Void) Pixels Transparent".  There may be other formats which allow transparent backgrounds, but these two work well.

Apart from transparency, GeoTiff is a good format for two further reasons.

1) it carries geographical coordinates within the file.  It is not just an image, it is an image that knows where it should be in the (GIS) world.  It can be imported into other GIS systems and will be accurately located.

2) it can also carry scale and DPI information, which helps if you want to export into graphics software (like Adobe InDesign or CorelDraw).  Imported into these programs at say 300dpi and 1:10,000, it will appear at the right scale on the page.