multi-processor/core support

macsmithmacsmith Global Mapper UserPosts: 42Trusted User
I've just compared the speed of GM with Qgis and got a surprise result.  I loaded a 99,000 point KMZ into an otherwise blank canvas in each GIS.  I then panned slightly and timed how long it took to refresh the display.

Initially I got what I expected, a paid for GIS product (GM) was faster than a free GIS (Qgis).  GM took 101 seconds and Qgis took 530 seconds.

However, I then discovered a setting in Qgis which enabled multi-core support.  Re-running the test for Qgis, it refreshed the display in 13 seconds, leaving GM in the dust!

I know there is some (limited) support in GM for mult-core operation but can we please have this support significantly widened to include common operations such as panning/redrawing?

Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,883
    Hello,

We are planning a number of enhancements our 2D draw engine for Global Mapper 20.0, where one goal is to improve the rendering performance.  If you contact Blue Marble Geographics Support via e-mail (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com) with a description of your workflow, and provide your test data, we can include it in our test suite for that release.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • thank you
  • The users must get some extra benefits by using the multi-processor based system. It will actually run very fast that must be needed by the users. If they get any issues may take suggestions from Epson error code 0xf1 to know in details.