Global Mapper v24.0

Elevation Grid from Vector Data

scr
scr Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Hi

I created a elevation grid from vector data. Global Mapper creates a new layer. Then I cropped the layer in the options dialog.
What I did not realized is that the metadata doesn't change. Is there a reason for that?

I think after cropping, metadata should change.

Thanks,
Rainer

Answers

• yianni
    yianni Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi

have you tried to export it to a different resolution to the provided one? i.e. if pixel size was 2mx2m into say 7.5mx7.5m. What does the metadata say about the pixel size then?

thanks
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Answer ✓
    Cropping may simply "delete" points.  These points will be visible if you turn on visibility for deleted objects.  However if you export your elevation data to a different file, then load that file, then the metadata should reflect your cropped data. 

Note that this procedure is common when working with Global Mapper layers - you need to export a file, then use that copy.  This applies to vector, raster, and elevation data.  It is also an efficient way to minimize memory use and response time within GM.  Loading on-line data is an extreme example of these issues. 

In this manner you preserve your original data as a backup, so if you need to adjust your cropping you can repeat the exercise whether or not you overwrite the first exported file with the second.