Global Mapper v25.0

Suggestion for GM 19 attribute editor

JSL
JSL Global Mapper UserTrusted User
It would be nice to be able to have the option to clear or select all the attribute columns when right clicking within the attribute editor, similar to how we can do it for deleting attributes in Edit.  RIght now, if I want to close most of the columns in the attribute editor, I right click on one column, then have to go down the line clicking each individual attribute.

Answers

• JSL
    JSL Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Here's another suggestion:  For join operations, give the option to choose which attributes to copy.  RIght now, if I want to only copy one attribute from an external csv file, I have to create awhole  new csv document that just has the join element and the attribute I want to copy.
  • JSL
    Another comment (I'm adding these as I come across them):
    Whoa, when I want to apply styling based on attribute/name values in the Styles window in Vector Options, the "Init from Values" option appears to have disappeared!  Say it ain't so! ;)

• JSL
    In the Attribute Editor, the "Delete selected" icon is very close to the "Clear selected" icon--maybe move them farther apart, and make them look distinctly different from each other.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    JSL said:
    Another comment (I'm adding these as I come across them):
    Whoa, when I want to apply styling based on attribute/name values in the Styles window in Vector Options, the "Init from Values" option appears to have disappeared!  Say it ain't so! ;)

Hello,

It ain't so.  The "Init from Values..." option was renamed to "Load Values...".  The function is the same.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • bmg_bob
    JSL said:
    It would be nice to be able to have the option to clear or select all the attribute columns when right clicking within the attribute editor, similar to how we can do it for deleting attributes in Edit.  RIght now, if I want to close most of the columns in the attribute editor, I right click on one column, then have to go down the line clicking each individual attribute.
    We have an existing feature request (#22763) to add commands to show and hide all columns. I have added your information, and we will post a message here when the status of the feature request changes.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • bmg_bob
    JSL said:
    Here's another suggestion:  For join operations, give the option to choose which attributes to copy.  RIght now, if I want to only copy one attribute from an external csv file, I have to create awhole  new csv document that just has the join element and the attribute I want to copy.
    I have added feature request #22985 so we can evaluate implementing this functionality in a future version of Global Mapper.  We will post a message on this thread when the status of the request changes.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • JSL
    Thanks so much!
  • JSL
    After two weeks of comparing the new Attribute Editor with the old functionality, I have the following comments:

It's nice to have the attribute table separate from the Search box, but the problem is that the attribute table doesn't drag easily--it shows a lot of frames repeating themself, for lack of a better word.  It also slows up operations while I'm working in the background, especially if I'm deleting or editing because it's constantly refreshing.  I work around by closing the attribute table, but that's clunky and necessitates re-opening when I'm ready to search.  My problem is that I work with really large layers, some with tens of thousands of vectors.

I also noticed that I can close the search box without closing the attribute table, but when I close the attribute table, the search box automatically closes.  It would be nice to be able to close the attribute table, leaving the search box, and then be able to bring up the attribute table again by making a new search.

I really like the docking option for 3D and profile, but I'm going to wait a bit to update till the new attribute editor gets some more tweaks.  Thanks for all the hard work!
  • bmg_bob
    JSL said:
    It's nice to have the attribute table separate from the Search box, but the problem is that the attribute table doesn't drag easily--it shows a lot of frames repeating themself, for lack of a better word.  
    Thank you for the feedback.  I don't understand what you mean by the quoted section above.  Can you describe your workflow in more detail?  

I will see what we can do about the other suggestions.  Maybe we can have the Attribute Editor hold off on updating itself so frequently when you are working in the Digitizer.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • JSL
    What I mean is that sometimes, and often when I have a lot of features in the table, it's hard to drag and drop the attribute table.  When I click on the top of the table and try to drag it, it "sticks," and then there's a delay, and then it's almost like the table keeps re-drawing as it moves--best I could do is make a sketch like this:

It doesn't happen all the time, and maybe it's just my computer.
  • JSL
    I'm testing out 19.1, and it looks like you added a bunch of the above suggestions--thanks!
  • JSL
    OK, now I'm having trouble with the new Search box.  I'm sure it's very powerful, but it's more complicated than it used to be.  I tried reading the Help, but I'm having problems just doing a simple search for a text string. 

I'd like to find all vectors with "min" in the Feature Description.  It used to be that all I had to do was search for the text string *min*.

In the new Search box, I tried adding <Feature Description> to the Query gbox, then adding the "like" operator, then adding *min* .  However, I get "Query is not valid: Unexpected input: "*"

Thanks for any help...
  • JSL
    Also, how do I search within a search?  For example, I want to find all vectors with Feature description containing "min", and within that search, all vectors with SEGMENT INDEX = 2.

Thanks...
  • bmg_bob
    edited February 2018
    JSL said:
    OK, now I'm having trouble with the new Search box.  I'm sure it's very powerful, but it's more complicated than it used to be.  I tried reading the Help, but I'm having problems just doing a simple search for a text string. 

I'd like to find all vectors with "min" in the Feature Description.  It used to be that all I had to do was search for the text string *min*.

In the new Search box, I tried adding <Feature Description> to the Query gbox, then adding the "like" operator, then adding *min* .  However, I get "Query is not valid: Unexpected input: "*"

Thanks for any help...
    Hello,

The key for your search is putting the search string in quotes, for example: <Feature Description> like '*min*'.  The default query to show all rows is: <Feature Name> like '*'.

I agree that the updated search is more complicated, but hopefully the additional query possibilities will mitigate that a bit.  This provides searching that is much closer to the power of using SQL database queries.

Cheers,
    Bob  

• bmg_bob
    JSL said:
    Also, how do I search within a search?  For example, I want to find all vectors with Feature description containing "min", and within that search, all vectors with SEGMENT INDEX = 2.

Thanks...
    Hello,

You just need one query:

<Feature Description> like '*min*' and %SEGMENT INDEX% = 2

Cheers,
    Bob