How to Create Indexed Text-Points

kbelliskbellis Global Mapper UserPosts: 518Trusted User
Say for example, you have an old map showing the settlers that were present by a little hand drawn symbol. The symbol itself is sufficient, but it would be nice to add a text-point. In Global Mapper, you can already do this manually, but can this be automated; either, 1) at the time of creation and 2) post-creation for an entire layer using the CALC ATTR functionality builtin to Global Mapper?

In the example (experiment) above, I've resorted to adding a visible symbol beside each hand drawn symbol which can be fairly quickly accomplished with the Automatically apply these setting to new features of the same type box at the bottom of the Modify Feature Info dialog checked:

But instead of the little purple and white target, there should only appear a single unique number for each structure.

The Special Attribute <index in layer> is what I've been trying to exploit in order to achieve the objective:

To quickly and efficiently place text-points which automatically increment.

How can auto-indexed text-points be created?

Best Answer

• MykleMykle Global Mapper User Posts: 446
    Answer ✓
    Kelly, my procedure is old-school: export to a CSV file, edit in spreadsheet, add a column of labels, save and import, select field to display.  Then hope that automatic positioning is satisfactory, or try to use a fixed position for all points (it would be nice to be able to use a field to specify position individually). 

Answers

• kbelliskbellis Global Mapper User Posts: 518Trusted User
    edited October 2016

The solution was discovered after I posted and in case anybody else might be curious how to do this, at least in one manner (in Global Mapper v18), from the Layer Control Center, right-click the layer to perform the CALC ATTR function, then Layer, Calculate/Copy Attribute Value(s)...,

Then in the Attribute Calculation Setup, Create New Attribute, Use Formula Calculation, choose from the scroll down list and choose <Index in Layer> and Insert, then click on Calculate and Close.

To get the numbers to show, you'll need to next right-click over the layer in the Layer Control Center, (or double-click), Options..., then select from the pull down list Classify Unclassified Point Features As Text, Apply / OK.

For this technique to work, you'll need to create some token place holder then perform the CALC ATTR function. This isn't an ideal means, so if anybody has any other suggestions, please let's hear them.
  • kbelliskbellis Global Mapper User Posts: 518Trusted User
    edited October 2016
    Mykle said:
    Kelly, my procedure is old-school: export to a CSV file, edit in spreadsheet, add a column of labels, save and import, select field to display.  Then hope that automatic positioning is satisfactory, or try to use a fixed position for all points (it would be nice to be able to use a field to specify position individually). 

Thanks for the reply Mykle which I didn't see until just now. That sounds like a good method.

Ideally, it would be nice to just be able to simply place the next number (or letter) in sequence. At the beginning of the process, identify alpha or numeric, which letter or number to use to begin with, the interval; e.g., +1, font style, etc. That way, another round of text-point creations could be done starting where we left off.