A useabiliy feature request

Here is my scenario. I would love a way to make lighter work of it.

I currently overlay NHD water data over the top of raster data. When it comes to the smaller water bodies, there is a small degree of inaccuracy in the data. e.g. a tennis court might be misidentified as a small reservoir. So I need to be able to find these easily and delete them and the only real way is to inspect virtually every element of which there might be several hundred of them.

As it stands right now I have to zoom out pretty much as wide as the state, select all objects in the layer, locate one, zoom in on it with the magnifying glass, zoom again because the first zoom was not very accurate and too far for good detail in my raster to identify the object under the small vector poly. Reach over to the control center to turn off my layer to see what is under the polygon. Then whether the polygon needs to be deleted or not, I still need to go back and turn the layer back on. Then when I am done with that object, I have to find the next one of several hundred, so I have to zoom out again state wide, Panning around is a crapshoot as to whether I find the next one and then have I to ask myself if I have already looked at that item. I have no way of knowing what individual objects I have looked at or not. So it is quite a clumsy process and too time intensive to do the job properly.

What would solve such a problem for me would be the ability to simply cycle to the next item using a simple keystroke, e.g. N for next selected item and it would jump to the next item maintaining the same zoom level. Then another keystroke to toggle it off momentarily so I can look to see what is under the poly, I can then delete it and hit N to move onto the next item, or just hit N to move to the next item. This would cut the time to perform such a task by a factor of 10 or more plus give a higher quality end result.

Another thing that happens moving over to the control center is that the program loses focus off the main screen so I always have to click on one of the screen borders to get focus back again. Is it possible to automatically return focus to the main screen when the mouse leaves the control center.

I know I have been posting a lot. Sorry! :-) I love the product and have been using it 12 hours a day for the past 2 months. When I get into a software product, I get right into it and am constantly thinking of ways it can be improved when I see that it could help me do a certain task easier.

Anyway, please put the above suggestion in your "queue". Thanks.

Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,190
    Hello,

It sounds like what you are asking for is the ability to cycle through the features in a layer.  As you move from one feature to the next, each feature will be selected and moved to the center of the screen without changing the zoom level.  The command to move to the next (or previous, presumably) feature would be activated by a hot-key (and likely via menu and toolbar commands).

In addition, you want to be able to hide the feature you are looking at, or perhaps, toggle the visibility of the layer that contains the feature.

Is this correct?  This is functionality that would need to be added to Global Mapper, but there are a few things you can do now that might be useful.

When you click the Search button (binoculars) in the toolbar, the Search Vector Data window will be displayed with all of your features.  When you put a check next to "Synchronize feature selection in the results list with the main window", then each feature you select in the list will be selected in the main window.  If you select the first feature, you can move through the list using the down and up arrow keys, selecting each feature as you go.  The drawback in your case may be that Global Mapper does not ensure that the feature is on the screen.  You can right-click and zoom to the feature, though.

You can reduce the need to toggle the layer off if you change the layer style to use a transparent background color.  This will allow you to see what is under the feature without needing to toggle the layer off.

Cheers,

Bob

• FuzzmanFuzzman Posts: 26
    Ok fantastic, thanks for the tip. I will try that and see how it goes and yes, the feature I am looking for is exactly as you describe. I fully understand that it would need to be a functionality that would be added to the program in the future.

Thanks
  • FuzzmanFuzzman Posts: 26
    Thanks for the advice! The Search Vector Data feature you mentioned helps me do EXACTLY what I need to do and with pretty much as much ease as the feature I mentioned would.