How to export 24-bit RGB PNG via scripting

I have a script that takes an already loaded GeoTIFF image and exports the image to PNG at certain bounds with a certain name. The clipping and naming works fine, but the output PNG is always 32-bit. How can I get the PNGs to be standard 24-bit RGB? The scripting reference documentation says that unless I'm explicitly writing out a paletted image, then it will default to 24-bit RGB. I'm determining the output PNGs to be 32-bit by the metadata dialog after loading them back into Global mapper. I'm doing this in GM12, though I have access to version 15. The EXPORT_RASTER line of the script is as follows:

EXPORT_RASTER TYPE="PNG" FILENAME="output\sat_N40d18m_W080d08m.png" PIXEL_SIZE="4335x4335" GLOBAL_BOUNDS="-80.13333333333334,40.3,-80.10000000000001,40.33333333333333" 

Best Answer

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,180
    edited June 2016 Answer ✓
    ejk said:
    I tried both your and my script on a 2-week trial of Global Mapper 17 and it still outputs a 32-bit PNG as reported in the metadata. I guess to be clear, I'm loading an image into the UI and then going to File > Run Script to run the script. I'm not running globalmapper.exe from the command line. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

The image I load into the UI is a 3-band 24-bit GeoTIFF.
    That is exactly how I ran the script.  The only difference is that my original data was a 3-band, 24-bit SID file instead of a GeoTIFF.  I tried using a GeoTIFF, and still got the correct output.

Have you tried adding the parameter "BG_TRANSPARENT=NO"?  By default, for PNG files, the value is YES (for other formats that use it, it defaults to NO) and signals the PNG exporter to add an alpha channel.

Cheers,

Bob

Answers

Hello,

Using Global Mapper 17, I exported a 24-bit PNG file, and when I loaded it, the metadata says that it has 3 color bands, and a bit depth of 24.

It is possible that there is a bug in the script export in version 12, or a bug in the metadata display.  Do you have another way to get information about the PNG file to determine whether it is 24 or 32 bits?

Cheers,

Bob
  • ejkejk Posts: 5
    edited June 2016
    If I use the regular GUI to export a PNG, then I do in fact get a 24-bit PNG. It seems to just be using the scripting method that returns a 32-bit PNG. I tried the script in Global Mapper 15 and it also gave me a 32-bit PNG.

I confirmed the PNGs were 32-bit, 4-band with an Alpha channel using a gdal application in addition to the metadata display within Global Mapper.

Did you use a GMS script to create the 24-bit PNG in Global Mapper 17?
    ejk said:

Did you use a GMS script to create the 24-bit PNG in Global Mapper 17?
    I used both the UI and a script.  My script command is pretty basic:
    EXPORT_RASTER TYPE="PNG" FILENAME="P:\Output\PNG\ScriptExport.png" GEN_PRJ_FILE=YES GEN_WORLD_FILE=YES
    Cheers,

Bob
    I tried using your exact script text in Global Mapper 12 and 15 and still get a 32-bit PNG output. Was there a change made to PNG export between v15 and v17?

But there is a GDAL application I can use to convert the outputs to 24-bit, so I may just try that.
    ejk said:
    I tried using your exact script text in Global Mapper 12 and 15 and still get a 32-bit PNG output. Was there a change made to PNG export between v15 and v17?

It appears that there was, given that the export works in Global Mapper 17 and not v12 or v15, but I don't have more details at the moment.

You can test your script in the latest released version, if you would like to.  After installation, choose the option for a two-week trial on the Licensing screen.

Cheers,

Bob
    I tried both your and my script on a 2-week trial of Global Mapper 17 and it still outputs a 32-bit PNG as reported in the metadata. I guess to be clear, I'm loading an image into the UI and then going to File > Run Script to run the script. I'm not running globalmapper.exe from the command line. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

The image I load into the UI is a 3-band 24-bit GeoTIFF.
    Adding BG_TRANSPARENT="NO" seems to work and produce a 24-bit PNG, even in Global Mapper 12. I had thought about this parameter before but this line in the scripting reference documentation made me believe it was off by default:
    "BG_TRANSPARENT (ECW, GEOTIFF, JPEG2000 and PNG only) - specifies that any areas of no data/background should be marked as transparent. Use BG_TRANSPARENT=YES to enable."

I interpreted that as, "this parameter only works for these 4 image types, and you have to set it to YES to turn it on, otherwise it's turned off." It might be helpful to update that line to be a little more clear about its default state.

Thank you for sticking with this thread though, I think things are working now.
    I am glad that you are getting your desired output.  The description of the BG_TRANSPARENT parameter is confusing with respect to PNG output.  I will see about updating it.

Cheers,

Bob