Global Mapper Pro

Saving active layers in overlay control center

Hi

I use GM primarily for the preliminary layout design of large sites. In cases where sites for the same client are adjacent to each other, the sites are designed in the same work space. Various drawings are then produced for purposes such as environmental assessments and general information, each one obviously comprising different sets of overlay layers.

At the moment I have to find the correct layers for each drawing every time I have to produce a revision (which is frequently), and invariably this leads to layers being overlooked (normally this is only noticed once the drawing is reviewed and  I've moved on to another drawing), after which I have to go through the layers and activate the required ones individually again. When working with a large number of layers across multiple sites, this becomes very tedious.

Is there a way to, once I've activated all the layers for a particular drawing, 'save' the layer states in the overlay control center, so that I can re-activate all the correct layers for that drawing when doing a revision, without having to find the layers again? Grouping layers helps, however some layers are used in more than one drawing and others not, so simply grouping doesn't completely resolve the issue. It would be ideal if there were a way to store multiple different combinations of active layers into 'channels' which can be recalled in the overlay control center.

For instance, if Drawing1 comprises layers 1, 2, 3 and 4, and Drawing2 comprises 1,2 and 5, I would like to activate layers 1,2,3 and 4 and save this as 'layer state D1', then activate 1,2 and 5 and save this as 'layer state D2'. The next time I have to work on Drawing1, I simply recall 'layer state D1' in the control center and it activates all the relevant layers.

This would greatly increase efficiency and reduce the need of re-working as a result of overlooking a layer or two when activating a large number.

Thank you in advance for any tips.
Theunis

We primarily use v15.2, but have access to v17.1 on one of our machines.

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello Theunis,

We have an open feature request (11502) for this funtcionality, however,  at the moment, it is not scheduled for implementation any time soon.

The best suggestion I can offer now is to have separate workspaces for each combination of layers.  Saving your data in a Global Mapper Package file could help with managing the data in multiple workspaces, since all of the workspaces could load the same package file.  

Some of our other users may have suggestions also.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Multiple copies of workspace (GMW) files will work for static (unchanging) layers.

Dynamic (changing) layers that are updated outside of Global Mapper will work fine, as the layer files will be loaded when each workspace is opened.

Any data that is created or updated WITHIN Global Mapper must be saved / exported before loading any other workspace file that expects to show the same data.
    You can save a workspace containing new and updated data, but other workspace files will NOT be updated.  
    This also applies to other settings that may be changed and saved in the workspace, like datum/projection, display bounds and shader selections, just to list a few.  

So, separate workspaces will work as long as these constraints are acceptable. 

• Thank you for the suggestions, I will give the separate workspaces a try. Having a small toolbar at the bottom of the overlay control center where channels of layer sets can be stored and recalled would be a great addition.

Cheers