Batch Convert using polygons to trim data into blocks

seismicseismic Global Mapper UserPosts: 8
I have been using the polygon method to trim multiple shapefiles into blocks defined by a polygon shapefile (Tiling/ Use selected Area Features for Tiles)

I have a couple of suggestions for improving the usability of this feature:

1. In the select Grid Cell Naming dialog put an option to prepend the Attribute name from the polygon file rather than the original filename - makes sorting the data by block in Explorer much more efficient. Currently I have to use the search box and wildcards to filter each block.

2. In the same dialog put an option to create subfolders for each Attribute - this would automatically separate the files from each polygon which would be a time saver.

Regards
Eric

Comments

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,960
    Hello,

Just a little clarification for #1.  Assuming my initial shapefile is called roads.shp, I have two selected features to use for tiling, and I choose the NAME attribute (values "FEATURE1" and "FEATURE2") for naming the output files.  Currently, the output files are roadsFEATURE1_lines.shp and roadsFEATURE2_lines.shp.  You want the output files to be NAMEFEATURE1_lines.shp and NAMEFEATURE2_line.shp.  Is this correct?

Cheers,

Bob
  • seismicseismic Global Mapper User Posts: 8
    Hi Bob,

No - I would like the output files to FEATURE1_Roads and FEATURE2_Roads.

My polygon file had 7 features with a Name attribute ranging from Block1 to Block7.

I am working on a very large 3D seismic survey with 265000 design points and multiple infrastructure data files which need to be trimmed into overlapping blocks to reduce the overhead on our field mapping / survey software. The Batch convert using polygons is a very efficient way of achieving this.

Regards
    Eric 
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,960
    Hi,

Thank you for the additional information.  I have added feature request #17614 to our task list so we can evaluate adding these Batch Convert options to a future version of Global Mapper.  We will post a message on this thread when the status of the feature request changes.

Cheers,

Bob
  • seismicseismic Global Mapper User Posts: 8
    Thanks Bob