Global Mapper v25.0

Need help getting Global Mapper to read XML data

Dave_in_Edmonton
Dave_in_Edmonton Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Hi, I am working on a project where I have MS Excel create several xml files.  These files generally contain only one type of data (point, line, or polygon) but there are up to a dozen such files produced.  I am able to import these files into Illustrator (with a map plugin) and they render properly, and are geographically correct. However I want to import these files in GM and generate shapefiles that can be used for other purposes.  Only problem is I cannot get GM (or anything other than Illustrator/MP) to read the file as geodata. When reading the xml file in notepad, it shows the following line at the top: "ns1:GeoCoreFeatureCollection xmlns:ns2="http://www.opengis.net/gml" xmlns:ns1="http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/GeoCoreExport" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">", so I am thinking Excel must use the GeoCore API (a guess on my part).  Attached is a zip containing a copy of an xml file, and also the shp file that is the end result in MapPublisher.  Does anyone have ideas of how to fix this?

Dave

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hi Dave,

It looks like the XML file is an extension of GML.  I tried changing the extension to .gml to see if Global Mapper might be able to parse it, but no luck there.  Do you also have the schema file (.xsd) that goes with the XML file?

Excel doesn't use the GeoCore SDK, so I don't know how it would produce that XML file.  Avenza MAPublisher does use the GeoCore SDK.  Could that XML have been exported from MP instead?  

What is wrong with the shapefile that you sent?  It loads into Global Mapper, but I don't know what it is supposed to look like, or if there is data missing.  How did you produce the shapefile?  It sounds like you imported the XML into MP, then exported the shapefile from there.  Is that correct?

Cheers,

Bob
  • Dave_in_Edmonton
    Dave_in_Edmonton Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Nothing is wrong with the shapefile, and the shape is correct.  I think I have to get a bit more background before I pursue this further, as the xml product may be a bit of reverse engineering from a MapPublisher output, which explains the reference to GeoCore.  More to follow.
  • Dave_in_Edmonton
    Dave_in_Edmonton Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Answer ✓
    So, a follow up on this. The guy I am working with used the export as Xml function to move data out of MapPublisher. He then used that data to create the schema for Excel to create the actual Xml file that would be exported out with the data. Since the Geocore bit is something MP uses, it appears to be able to read and use the data, but nothing else can. I have solved my immediate problem by creating a workflow where I get the data from MapPublisher as kml files, import them into Global Mapper, clean up the data, save it as a shapefile, the conduct my analysis in eithe GM or QGIS ( still working on that bit, see my other post about query of many polygons and many points).