Global Mapper v25.0

Generic ASCII Text File Import Options

Mykle
Mykle Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2015 in Technical Support
Global Mapper v17.0.4 (b121415) [64-bit] - REGISTERED

1. The Coordinate Line Prefix sub-dialog needs more room to display text without cropping.

2. When using the Select Coordinate Scale/Offset to enter X and Y offsets, the file is imported correctly.  
However, the offset values are retained without any evidence in the Import File dialog of non-default values
lurking within.  This took me a good while to re-discover and reset.  

That said, there are many dialog values that return to default values when they would be better if retained.
So I would NOT like to see the Scale/Offset values reset to defaults when importing additional files.  
That means we need some way of indicating that non-default values are about to pounce on your file(s).  

One method would be to have a check box before the button option.  If not checked, don't use any Scale/Offset values.  
If checked, use them (and the checked box is a visible indication of use).  

3. This issue is more iffy to describe.  
Import a file of points that use a local grid, into a project using UTM.  Then shift the points using
Move/Reshape Feature(s) | Shift (Offset) Selected Feature(s) |
  Specify Offset to Apply to Point(s) | Specify Offset as Fixed X/Y Distance Offsets
I used values suitable to shift a selection of points into UTM coordinates.  While the points
did shift in the appropriate direction, the shift was about a factor of 1/4 of the specified values.

I am working in UTM, with several data sets loaded as State Plane and my offsets were in feet.  
But a simple meters-feet conversion did not appear to be relevant.  So the process required a lot of
iteration to get the points moved where desired.  

The input file Scale/Offset option worked fine for this data.  

So I may need to find some time to describe a process that replicates the issue for you, unless it is simple.  

Thanks,
Mykle

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    1. I opened bug #17151 for the squashed text.  The fix will be in tomorrow's (12/17) daily build.

2) I opened item #17152 for the stealthy use of non-default data.  We will post a message to this thread when the status of the item changes.

3) Your best bet here is to create a workspace with some data that can be used to illustrate this situation, then send an e-mail describing your workflow and the results, with a copy of your sample data, to Blue Marble Geographics support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com).  This will ensure that the support team sees the problem and can provide you with a timely response.  Thank you.