Global Mapper Pro

From DEM to 3D Model

Great software, I'm very excited about the 3D model export features but running into some problems:

For example, if I download SRTM data and world-wide imagery (for a texture map), I have effectively an approximate 3D model of the terrain with a texture. I should be able to export this out to a 3d format from GM17, maybe a PLY, OBJ, or a Collada DAE format. However GM gives me an error that no compatible 3D vector data has been loaded.

This is an interesting message, because if you switch over to the 3D viewer and look at the wireframe, it is clear that GM has a vector interpretation of this data set... it just won't let me export it.

How do I do this without exporting data (dxf mesh) and then reimporting it? How do I apply a texture to a TIN and export out that as part of the 3d model?
Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Hi csnoke,

You should be able to export SRTM data to STL format. Load the data, and use File / Export / Export 3D Format..., then select STL (ASCII Text of Binary) File (Elevation Data Only). Use the dialog that comes up to select export options, and you should be good to go.

best regards,

~Jeff
  • Thanks for the response, indeed I tried your suggestion and it works!

Any plans to add FBX support soon?

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    We have an existing bug, #15649, for this. I'll add a link to this topic, and we can let you know when it's implemented, if that happens. I don't believe that it's slated any time soon.

Best regards,

~Jeff