set an elevation grid was created. I also have a textfile containing 
239 points with x and y position. What I would like to do now 
is extract the height value, in the x,y-coordinates of my 239 
points, from the elevation grid. I have gone through the process
of selecting all of these points with the Digitizer Tool and
applying elevations to them using the Apply Elevations 
from Terrain Layers.

The problem that I am having is in exporting the x,y,z
points in ACSII or similar a tabular format that I can use 'Excel?

I am using Global Mapper 16 on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards;

Paul

Answers

• Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Paul,
    You can easily export a CSV that Excel will read.  The elevation value included in your output value will be the attribute selected in the options for your point data set.  You will probably want to ensure that an existing attribute is NOT specified, so your export dialog can be set to use an elevation value from your grid layer. 
  • Inselberg
    edited November 2015 Answer ✓
    Mykle wrote:

"You can easily export a CSV"

How do you that? I cannot find anything in the manual about
    how to either export the data as CVS or ASCII file. All I can 
    find are menu items for exporting "Eris File Geodatabase Table,"
    Eris Personal Geodatabase Table," and other seemingly exotic
    computer formats, which I do not know how to use.

Yours,

Paul
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    Inselberg said:
    How do you that? I cannot find anything in the manual about
    how to either export the data as CVS or ASCII file. All I can 
    find are menu items for exporting "Eris File Geodatabase Table,"
    Eris Personal Geodatabase Table," and other seemingly exotic
    computer formats, which I do not know how to use.

1) Open the Overlay Control Center
    2) In the list of layers, select the layer that has your points with elevations.
    3) Right-click and select Export Selected Layer(s) to New File...  The Select Export Format window will be displayed.
    4) Select "CSV" from the list, and click OK. The CSV Export Options window will be displayed.
    5) Select the options you want to use ("Include Elevation Values for Each Point" would probably be of particular interest.)
    6) Click OK.  
    7) Select a file name for the output file, and click OK.
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Answer ✓
    Paul,
    Yes, there are many formats available but only a few will be interesting, and the interesting formats will be different for most users!

First, open the Control Center (fifth icon in the first group, or Alt-C, or | Tools | Control Center)
    Select the layer containing your point data set, then click on the Options button at the bottom.
    In the Vector Options dialog (if that isn't the dialog that opens, we'll be interested in which one does)
    about half-way down, is "Get 'Elevations' From Attribute Value".  The default is "<Default>", so unless your data have appropriate elevation values already, you will want to select "<Don't Get Elevation From Attributes>". 

Second, we assume that you have imported an Elevation Grid, or created one from a set of data points.  We also assume that this layer is visible (not hidden) by the box at the left end of the layer being checked. 

Third, open
    | File | Export | Export Vector/Lidar Format
    then select CSV format.

Finally, in the CSV Export Options dialog, about half-way down, check "Include Elevation Values for Each Point (if Available)". 

The resulting file can be opened with a double-click on the file in Windows Explorer. 
    If entire lines wind up in the first column in Excel, mark the first column (click on the "A"), then use | Data | Text to Columns function with Tab as the delimiter. 

Cheers,
    Mykle
  • Thank you-all very much for your time, expertise, and patience. This is exactly the information that I needed. This is going to make Global Mapper even more useful in my reaserch.

Yours,

Paul H.
  • RUBJ
    Answer ✓
    Hi all,

I have a follow up question to this subject. If you have more than one xyz layer, eg. a ground model with different layers. Is is then possible to extract a csv file with all elevation values in the different positions of interest?

Best regards,

Rune
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    RUBJ said:
    I have a follow up question to this subject. If you have more than one xyz layer, eg. a ground model with different layers. Is is then possible to extract a csv file with all elevation values in the different positions of interest?
    If you perform an export (using File->Export) with multiple data sets loaded, all of the data will be exported into a single CSV file.  If your data sets overlap, then the topmost (based on the draw order) elevation value at each location will be exported.  You can use the Overlay Control Layer to export a single layer so that you get all of the elevation values for that layer, regardless of whether it overlaps another layer.
  • RUBJ
    Answer ✓
    Ok, thanks for the answer. What i was looking for was to export every elevation value for all loaded layer in one file. But i guess that is not possible. It would be good to have such a function if you have alot of different layers in one ground model :smile: