Global Mapper Pro

Adding URL Links to Features (Questions)

Dionybell
Dionybell Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Hello, I'm trying to add URL links to features of a SHP file. The only option I could find is on the EDIT menu. "Add File Link". There it would only let me choose a file on my computer. After choosing a file, it would add an attribute named FILE_LNK_1. If I double click on that field in the feature information the file opens. Which is good.

I can edit the FILE_LNK_1 and add a URL. But when I do that and double click in the Feature information the URL doesn't open, which is inconvenient. I figure I could open it by right click and choosing an option.

My questions are:

1) Is there a way to add an URL to the file link and not having to choose a random local file and then edit the field?
2) Is there a way to put all links in a separate attribute named "Images" for example, instead of FILE_LNK_1
3) Is there a way after I add the URL to the attribute to just double click on the field in Feature Information and my browser opens the file?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm on Global Mapper 16.2, I can update if neccesary.

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    To add a URL to an attribute, simply create a new attribute (or choose an existing one) and type the URL as its value.  The attribute with the URL can have any name that you want.  When the Feature Information tool detects that you have an attribute that contains a URL, it will ask you how you want to handle it.  One of the options is to load the URL attribute value using a web browser.