Map Layout Editor

henrik77henrik77 Global Mapper UserPosts: 3

Is it possible to change the order of the legend entries manually in the map layout editor in GM 17?

Best Answer

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,158
    Answer ✓
    Sorry about that...I did not read your original post carefully enough.

Are you using a legend based on vector types or a defined palette?  If you are using vector types, then the legend will display items in alphabetical order.  Your only option here is to set up the names of your vector types so that they will get sorted into the order that you want.  If you are using a defined palette, then the entries will be displayed in the order that you set them up in the palette set-up dialog.

We are currently deciding which enhancements to the map elements will be scheduled for Global Mapper 17.1, and there are a number of requests for ways to improve the legend element.  I will add this to the list.  Note that this is not a guarantee that it will be implemented in version 17.1.

Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,158
    You can use the Map Element Control Center to change the display order of elements in the Map Layout Editor.  Select an element in the list, and use the arrows on the right side to move it up or down.  Note that, as is the case in the Overlay Control Center, the elements are listed in the order in which they are drawn, so the items at the bottom of the list appear on top, since they are drawn last.
  • henrik77henrik77 Global Mapper User Posts: 3

Hello bmb_bob

I am referring specifically to the individual legend entries:

The legent entries seem to be listed in alphabetic order. I have attached a screenshot of a sample legend. I would like to rearrange the elements shown to the following order...

1. No or very rare boulders
    2. Boulder distance > 50 m
    3. Boulder distance 5-50 m
    4. Boulder distance 2-5 m
    5. Boulder distance < 2 m

...in order to show a logical progression of area types.

Best regards, Henrik