Global Mapper Pro

3D modelling

I want to know if I can import structures into global mapper (like solar panels) and place them where designed
and then create a 3D fly through

Answers

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Hi Peter,

The answer depends on a few things. Yes, you can import 3D models into Global Mapper, but with the current version (16.2) you cannot easily place them in arbitrary locations. The good news is that we're working on adding that type of functionality. In fact, in the "coming soon" version 17, you will be able to attach your own 3D models to point features, and have them display in the 3D viewer.

The Fly-through functionality has been in place for some time -- it was added GM 16.

If you can supply some specifics about your use case; formats you're using, what you've tried, we may be able to help you achieve what you're looking to do.

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • thanks Jeff,
    glad to hear your adding that function,  it will make GM even better. 

JOB: I flew a typical carpark with my drone and create a 3D fly through over site, clients love it and asked if could I place their carports with solar panels at designed locations on my model and then recreate the fly through?  this happened last Thursday so I have done little investigation.  Sat down with an architect mate and we were thinking a 3D MESH export might work and either leave it in autocad or try to import new model back in after caports have been placed in.

cheers peter