Global Mapper v25.0

How do I convert xml metadata to prj file for a missing las file projection?

I am trying to load a las file into GM 15 but I get an missing projection data error. I have the metadata in the form of an XML file but I have no idea how to load it into the projection dilogue.
Can someone assist
Thanks

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    When you load your file and select the projection, try the Load From File... button.  This can import projections from a few types of files.

If that doesn't work, pick the projection from the list, then click the Save to File... button.  This will save a .prj file containing the projection definition.  As long as it has the same name and resides in the same directory as the .las file, Global Mapper will use it when you import the file.
  • Thanks Bob, I would like to accurately project the Las file to overlay a overhead image. Is there a way of taking the information from the XML file and making a prj. file?
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    The easiest way to create a .prj file from the XML is to pick the projection from the list that is displayed when you load the data, then use the Save to File... button.

What is the source of the XML file?  Does the source give you information about the projection, so you can pick from the list?  Does the XML file contain enough information about the projection to allow you to pick from the list?