Global Mapper Pro

Crop to latitude

Ice Age Mark
Ice Age Mark Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2015 in Bug Report
Howdy,

The crop to a latitude function is having default values of -540 and 540 showing up each time, then a warning pops up for that; even if those values are unchecked and grayed out. Then those have to be checked, changed to values between -180 and 180, then unchecked again to proceed, even if they were intended to be unchecked.

I don't think it should be this way. Also, I think it should initialize/open with the real values of the layer being cropped being displayed.

Thanks in advance for fixing it.

Mark

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited July 2015
    Hi Mark,

What version of Global Mapper are you using?

What workflow are you using? I tried the following steps, but didn't see any problem:

- Load some raster data
    - Bring up the Overlay Control Center
    - Select my layer in the list and click the Options... button.
    - On the Raster Options (Cropping tab) window, select Crop to Manually Selected Lat/Lon Boundary

The initial values look to have been initialized from the loaded data.

If you did something different, please provide the steps I need to follow to reproduce the problem.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2015
    Hello there Bob,

Thanks for checking it out on another setup, I don't have a way to do that. It seems that the problem involves Polar Stereographic and Orthographic projections. If you run the simple script below, it should download a weather map that is in Polar Stereographic.

Then try to crop only the southern edge to, say 21N, to trim off the legend/text and make it look better. The crop dialog initializes and behaves as previously described. Then reproject the map to Orthographic centered on, say 45N/120W and zoomed out to the full data extent. Try again to crop only the southern edge to 21N.

In both cases, the "crop" line is actually radial, so maybe this is giving the program indigestion in those projections. I hope this helps and can reproduce it for you.

Thanks again,

Mark

B070815 Registered

GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION="1.00" FILENAME="C:\\n hemi maps.gmw"
    SET_BG_COLOR COLOR="RGB(0,0,0)"

DEFINE_PROJ PROJ_NAME="UPS_NORTH_WGS84"
    Projection UPS_NORTH
    Datum WGS84
    Zunits NO
    Units METERS
    Xshift 0.000000
    Yshift 0.000000
    Parameters
    END_DEFINE_PROJ

DEFINE_VAR NAME="DAY" VALUE="16" \
    PROMPT="YES" PROMPT_TEXT="ENTER DAY NUMBER (0-31 16=today)"

IMPORT FILENAME="; \
    TYPE="PNG" PROJ_NAME="UPS_NORTH_WGS84" RECTIFY="Helmert" GCP="Point 1,77.9809158,601.1250492,-6803142.7376396,6104972.8743929" \
    GCP="Point 2,412.5651170,69.8204142,9280566.2427664,2636967.0102916" LABEL_FIELD_FORCE_OVERWRITE="NO" \
    SAMPLING_METHOD="BICUBIC" AUTO_CONTRAST="NO" CONTRAST_SHARED="YES" CONTRAST_MODE="NONE" \
    LAYER_DESC="DAY %DAY%" TEXTURE_MAP="NO" TRANSLUCENCY="512"
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited July 2015
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the test case. I was able to reproduce the problem, and added item #16017 to our bug list. We will post a message back here when the but status changes.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Trusted User
    edited July 2015
    Hi Mark,

I was able to fix both the problem with the initialization of the lat/lon bounds for cropping to a lat/lon boundary and also the actual crop itself when cropping to a lat/lon boundary in a layer with a projection that is highly non-orthogonal to the lat/lon grid. Now everything works perfectly. I have placed new builds with the latest changes at Global Mapper Downloads. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation

• Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2015
    Mike,

Very nice! Thank you, sir.

Best regards,

Mark
    7-10.jpg 182.4K