Global Mapper v25.0

OBJ 3d Mesh

gregleon
gregleon Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2015 in Technical Support
I have a 3D mesh I am trying to import into GM, it loads in fine. However, I am wondering if there is anyway to set XYZ orientations like x = north y = east etc?

Comments

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited June 2015
    Hi gregleon,

Global Mapper does not have the ability to arbitrarily assign model axes to directions, but you can perform a couple of orientation changes that remedy common problems:

* Conversion from Z-up orientation to Y-up: some model types (STL, Blend) typically use a Z-up orientation, that is, when loaded into GM, the 2D view's vertical axis represents elevations. GM uses a Y-up orientation; the vertical axis represents Y values (latitudes).

* Conversion from left-handed orientation to right-handed: this reverses the Y and Z axis orientations (Y --> -Y, and Z --> -Z).

These conversions are included in the new builds available at Global Mapper Downloads. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build. Please let us know if you run into any problems.

Neither of these transformations will allow you to display X values as latitudes. If that's a requirement for you, then you could make a sample mode available to us and we could take a look to see what might be done.

Best regards,

~Jeff