problem with exporting elevation grid to obj or ply

sky111sky111 Global Mapper UserPosts: 10Trusted User
edited May 2015 in Technical Support
hi

i have an elevation grid and would like to export it into an obj or ply file. I tried export the 'export elevation grid' export and 'export 3D format' option, but nothing happens when choosing these options. with other formats usually the export options window pops up.

we use GM16.2 latest release.

thanks for your help

bernhard

Comments

• JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 280Trusted User
    edited May 2015
    Hello bernhard,

The new 3D export support (which includes OBJ, PLY, STL, and DAE) cannot yet handle elevation grids, but that's definitely on our list, most likely for for the short term. As it happens, our original STL exporter handles only elevations -- is it possible that that would work for you? I've added a new bug (#15835) for this, and we'll notify you when this has been addressed. Thanks for the suggestion.

best regards,

~Jeff
  • sky111sky111 Global Mapper User Posts: 10Trusted User
    edited May 2015
    Hi Jeff

Yes in the meantime I used the workaround with stl, since the data are only 2.5D this works as well. Thanks and looking forward to the other exporters.

best regards

Bernhard
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 280Trusted User
    edited May 2015
    Hi Bernhard,

OK, glad to hear that you're able to work around this. I'll post here when there's a version that has the new functionality.

cheers,

~Jeff
  • golfshapergolfshaper Posts: 2
    Did we ever sort this out from 2015? I generated a KMZ file from google earth then generated contours from the SRTM, after that I attempted to export in OBJ and PLY but it failed, is there a way to do this now?