v16 makes workspace unusable for v15

macsmithmacsmith Global Mapper UserPosts: 42Trusted User
edited May 2015 in Technical Support
I've installed a demo of v16GM to see what it's like. I used my v15 workspace files but deliberately did not save them from v16 in case that introduced incompatibilities with v15.

Despite my caution, v15 GM won't now open the workspaces. It doesn't complain, it just doesn't do anything.

Am I now committed to buying v16?

Ian

Comments

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,264
    edited May 2015
    Hello Ian,

That is very strange. If you didn't save the workspace, it should not have been modified. Can you attach a zip archive containing one of your workspaces and its data?

I tried opening a GM 15 workspace in GM 16, then opening it again in GM 15, and I didn't have any problems. What GM 16 functionality did you use after you loaded your GM 15 workspace? One thing you could try, if you have additional GM 15 workspaces, is to

1) make a copy of a GM 15 workspace
    2) open the GM 15 workspace file in GM 16
    3) use the functionality that you used before

When you are done, compare the back-up copy with the workspace file that you used to see what has changed.

Cheers,

Bob
  • macsmithmacsmith Global Mapper User Posts: 42Trusted User
    edited May 2015
    Hi,

I don't think now that this is a workspace issue. The date stamp on the workspace I used is from last week, before I installed v16, so it hasn't been modified. Also, I tried opening another workspace in v15 (that hasn't been used by v16) and v15 did the same - nothing.

So this may be a version co-existence problem, ie, v16 installation has done something to break the v15 version.

I'm on windows 8.1 64 bit.

Thanks

Ian
    edited May 2015
    Hi Ian,

What are the version and build date for your copy of Global Mapper 15? You can get this information from the Help->About Global Mapper... menu item. I have used v15 and v16 on the same computer for quite a while, and I have not seen any conflict between them.

Cheers,

Bob
    edited May 2015
    v15.2.7h b072714 64 bit

Thanks

Ian
    edited May 2015
    Hello Ian,

Thanks for the version info. I recommend that you contact Blue Marble Geographics support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com). This is the best bet for you to get a solution to this problem going forward. Be sure to include your version information and a detailed description of your workflow and results.

Cheers,

Bob
    edited May 2015
    I've just uninstalled V16 as the trial period has ended. V15 burst back into life again, thank goodness!

Ian