Re-importing modified elevation data

gwerjogwerjo Global Mapper UserPosts: 1
edited April 2015 in Elevation Data
Hi,

I need to modify an elevation data so that I flatten small sections of it.

I've exported a section of elevation data as DXF to 3DS Max (after converting it to UTM). I've then exported it in Max as DXF and opened the file in GM16.1. I get an error that 'No data could be loaded from the file...'.

GM will let me open the same data in 3DS format but I cannot create an elevation grid from it.

Is there a way to import modified data from 3DS Max that can then be used to an elevation grid that can be merged with the original file?

Thanks

Greg

Comments

• JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 322Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Hi Greg,

Yes, we haven't yet bridged the gap between 3D meshes (what we get from formats like 3DS) and other geometry types (particularly elevation data) in Global Mapper; basically, we can load them, save and display them, but they don't tend to play well with others. I've added a ticket for that functionality (#15702) and we'll reply back here when it's available. Scheduling of tickets is not up to me, but this is all part of a larger effort of getting meshes to be better Global Mapper feature citizens, and I think it would be a pretty useful facility to have.

I'm a little surprised that the DXF that you tried to load into GM didn't work -- would it be possible for you to send the file to us so that we can take a look?

Best regards,

~Jeff