Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Metadata and source of World Imagery in Global Mapper 16

fjoyalfjoyal Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited April 2015 in Downloading Imagery
Hi everyone

I'd like to know if it's possible to get the metadata of World Imagery when downloading it from online data. In Global Mapper 16 it appears the imagery is 15cm resolution in some place in Canada and south America.

So is it possible to get the date of acquisition, resolution, source of World Imagery?

Many thanks
Frank

Comments

• AlbsAlbs Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    edited April 2015
    This might be the place to go:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=c1c2090ed8594e0193194b750d0d5f83

If you click on the image on the webpage, some more info comes up, as shown for example here:.

World Imagery website example.JPG

What I have noticed is a discrepancy between the 0.15 m resolution Global Mapper indicates in its metadata tab and the resolution reported by the website. I suspect the system/server that distributes World Imagery is only set up for one resolution, and somewhere in the world they do have 15 cm data that they want to show at such detail. As a result, I think everywhere else the imagery is oversampled to conform with the highest resolution imagery. Perhaps somebody else more familiar with World Imagery than I, can comment further on this?

If I'm right, I would download or save at the lower resolution closer to that of the original data source.

Secondly, I am still wary of automatically thinking that the imagery you access through Global Mapper and what is shown on the arcgis.com webpage are the same image (and therefore the correct date/source/etc). As such, I would do some comparison of the two images to make sure they are the same.

Hope this helps.