Global Mapper Pro

Color Areas by Attribute

Greg Nash
Greg Nash Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2015 in Vector Data
I have a lot of areas that have attribute values. One of those attribute values is an integer and I'd like to color the areas based on that attribute. I'd like it to be scaled such that the lowest attribute value has the coldest color and the highest attribute value has the warmest. Is this possible or is this a feature request?

Maybe I can somehow convert my area features into elevations and use that attribute as the elevation?

Comments

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Hello Greg,

You should be able to do this pretty easily:
    • Load your layer up, and open up the Overlay Control Center.
    • Select the layer, and click on "Options...", then select "Area Styles" tab.
    • Select "Apply Styling Based on Attribute/Name Values", and choose the attribute that you want to use from the drop-down list ("Attribute/Name to Base Style On").
    • Click on "Init from Values..."; you can set up an area style there, but the key here is that when you select OK, you should get a dialog that says something like "All of the attribute values were numeric. Would you like to just provide styles for the minimum and maximum values and blend the colors for values in between?". Select Yes. Now your list of Values/Styles should have several new styles (MIN, MAX, AVG, and AVG+2 Std Dev). You should be able to edit the styles for the MIN and MAX values and choose your coolest and warmest colors; the AVG and AVG+2 STD DEV give you the ability to adjust the transition curve -- you may just delete them if you don't need them.

Hope that this helps.

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • Greg Nash
    Greg Nash Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Jeff,

That worked great. Thanks for the clear instructions.

Greg
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited April 2015
    Glad to be able to help. Cheers!

~Jeff
  • Greg Nash
    edited June 2015
    Jeff,

As a follow-up question, is it possible to show a scale bar and/or legend to describe how I've colored things?

Greg
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited June 2015
    Hi Greg,

You should be able to do what you want starting with Tools / Map Layout..., which opens up the Map Layout Settings dialog:

* In the DIstance Scale section, check the checkbox labelled "Show Distance Scale on Map". You can parameterise its font, background color, position and transparency.

* In the Map Legend section, choose Display Legend Based on Loaded Vector Types.

Best,

~Jeff
  • Greg Nash
    edited July 2015
    Jeff,

That worked great. Thanks again.

Greg