Batch Convert from GeoTIFF to PDF without yellow background.

mr_han_solomr_han_solo Global Mapper UserPosts: 12Trusted User
edited April 2015 in Raster Data
Hello,

I am trying to batch convert some of my old GeoTiffs to a GeoPDF. Upon conversion my PDF have a big yellow background around them. Is it possible to convert these without the background? I just want the maps themselves, nothing else. I know I can set it to transparent, but that still has the background itself in it when I open it in Acrobat Reader.

Also, one of my files is a PLSS overlay that has a transparent background. Upon conversion, the background is now yellow is well. How can I correct this?

Thanks,

Han

Comments

• MykleMykle Global Mapper User Posts: 447Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Hello Han,
    It sounds like your background color is yellow (default).

You can change your background color (to white) at
    View | Background Color

You can also crop or otherwise select the limits of your export on the Export Options tab during your export operation. That works for your old GeoTIFFs, but would not work for your PLSS overlay.

Cheers,
    Mykle
  • mr_han_solomr_han_solo Global Mapper User Posts: 12Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Mykle wrote: »
    Hello Han,
    It sounds like your background color is yellow (default).

You can change your background color (to white) at
    View | Background Color

You can also crop or otherwise select the limits of your export on the Export Options tab during your export operation. That works for your old GeoTIFFs, but would not work for your PLSS overlay.

Cheers,
    Mykle

In the batch convert, there isn't an Export Options Tab (you mean Export Bounds? This is the tab I see when I export one at a time), I'm guessing i'm going to just have to do each one individually then?

Just tested it, by going to File>Export>Export PDF File>Export Bounds>Draw a Box. Then I draw a box around the map itself and hit Ok. After it's exported I open with Acrobat and still see the big border around it.
    edited April 2015
    I wasn't reading carefully, so missed the batch convert.

I don't see any relevant options in batch convert unless you wanted to remove the collar or export to lat/long boundary.

What is your View | Background Color set to? That is not the image background, but the program background that you would see when displaying your PLSS layer only. The default is yellow.
    edited April 2015
    It was the yellow, and I have since changed it to white to see if that would make a difference. It doesn't, when I open the PDF in Acrobat I still have to zoom to the map, although the white background/border is a lot easier on the eyes.

Just tried the the "export to lat/long boundary" didn't even think of using that one. Unfortunately, it doesn't work either.
    edited April 2015
    Do you expect to get a GeoTIFF from your sample? I'm not seeing that it is georeferenced. Having played with similar maps in southwest Pennsylvania, a "georeferenced" map of a hand-sketch is a tedious, manual process with distorted results, but they have been useful.

Looks like finding someone with Acrobat Pro would be useful, since it can quickly convert all of your TIFF to PDF.
    edited April 2015
    Sorry, I should have explained that earlier. These maps were georeferenced years ago in the geotiff format. I just opened the tiff itself in photo viewer as an example, but the map itself has been georeferenced.

What i'm trying to do it convert my geofererenced TIFF maps to the PDF format for future proofing, easier distribution and the more flexible format, as well as it seems to be an easier file for GM and other programs to handle.

I had thought about converting all the maps to PDF then georeferencing them again but that would be beyond time consuming and i'm afraid it would result in the same border around the PDF itself.

Thanks.
    edited April 2015
    Wanted to add that I just cropped to the size I wanted then exported it as a GeoPDF. I changed the size from Folio to Letter. The combination make it somewhat better, but i'm still getting a lot of background around my map itself.
    Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 1.57.42 PM.png
    edited April 2015
    That looks a lot better than I would normally expect for a georeferenced map of that age, unless a surveyor was the author!

If you are exporting manually, then using the option to draw a box around your image may minimize the border.
    edited April 2015
    It was authored by a surveyor originally.

Dialog box didn't do anything. I cropped the PDF file to just the map itself in acrobat pro and saved. When I opened this file up in Global Mapper The entire "image" was moved north about 600-700 yards and shifted east about 300. I guess cropping it after conversion is out now as well.
    edited April 2015
    Just to double-check that we are talking about the same options:

The main window is at the bottom.
    File | Export | Export Raster/Image Format then select your format, the export dialog box is displayed.
    The panel to the right is the GeoTIFF export dialog. The PDF dialog is similar.
    Select the Draw a Box button and the top window opens, and I have drawn a box around my image.

DrawBox.png
    edited April 2015
    Mykle wrote: »
    Just to double-check that we are talking about the same options:

The main window is at the bottom.
    File | Export | Export Raster/Image Format then select your format, the export dialog box is displayed.
    The panel to the right is the GeoTIFF export dialog. The PDF dialog is similar.
    Select the Draw a Box button and the top window opens, and I have drawn a box around my image.
    /QUOTE]

That is correct, that is the exact thing I was doing originally after batch export didn't work.