New line style

tiberioddtiberiodd Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited June 2015 in Vector Data
Hi, I use GM15.1 for updating B&W 1:5000 maps but I was wandering if it is possible to create a new line style for unpaved roads.
For std roads we use "Solid with Black Edge" but for unpaved ones Albanadettpng.jpgwe need two parallel "DASH (Long,Close spased)"GM type.
I add an image map detail

Thanks for your help

Comments

• BoydBoyd Global Mapper User Posts: 19Trusted User
    edited May 2015
    Just noticed this old post. I would also like to be able to create a greater variety of line styles. I would like to choose a separate fill and border style for lines, just like I can for polygons (areas). I woul also like to be able to create a custom bitmap image as a fill, like I can do with polygons. I am still running Globalmapper 12 however. Does the current version of GLobalmapper allow you to customize lines in this way? If not, is it a feature that is being considered for future upgrades?

In the meantime, I came up with a workaround to produce dashed unpaved roads in the style that tiberiod wants. It is a bit of a kludge, but it works. :)

I created a separate layer that only contains the unpaved roads. I set the line type as solid black, 5 pixels wide (or any size you want) then exported the file as a TIFF raster image at 2 meters/pixel. I then opened the TIFF file in Globalmapper, right-clicked its layer in the Control Center and chose the option to create area features from equal values, choosing only the black pallette color.

This gave me a set of polygons (areas) that corresponded to my unpaved roads. I then set the polygon style for no fill with a dashed black border and I had the effect shown in the OP's image above. This does not retain the road names however. To get that, I put the original road lines on a separate layer and set the line style to invisible. This allows the labels to be shown on the polygon roads.

Like I said, it's a kludge. ;) I wish Globalmapper would simply let us create our own styles.
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,058
    edited May 2015
    Hello,

We have a feature request (#10112) for custom styles, but it has not been implemented yet. I will add this thread to the request, and we will post back here when the status changes.

Cheers,

Bob
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 324Trusted User
    edited May 2015
    Hi Boyd,

Starting with Global Mapper 15, users have been able to create line styles that are composed of a background line of arbitrary width and color, along with a foreground line whose width, color, and "style" (dashed, etc.) are user selectable. This gives you somewhat more flexibility than before. Unfortunately, we still cannot duplicate tiberiodd's unpaved road style as shown above -- we'd need a double-dashed line "style" for that. So that work would probably go into the ticket that Bob referenced.

best regards,

~Jeff
  • tiberioddtiberiodd Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited May 2015
    Thank you very much for your answer!
    Like with Autodesk "Autocad" is there any possibility with GM to make an offset (2,5 mt for instance) of a track dash line so we could suit my requested double dash road style
    Regards
    Tiberio
  • BoydBoyd Global Mapper User Posts: 19Trusted User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks guys. Was not aware of that new feature in GM15. But it would be great to have the full functionality with lines that we have with areas. Being able to use bitmaps as fills would also open the door to creating striped lines and different dash lengths (like we can do with "custom types" on Garmin maps).

In the meantime, I found a simpler and better workaround to create the double-dashed line. Select your unpaved roads with the digitizer tool, then right-click and choose Advanced Feature Creation Options > Create Buffers Around Selected Feature(s). Now choose an appropriate width. I used 15 feet to create a 30 foot wide road, for example.

This will create polygons to match your unpaved roads. Now edit the polygons so they have no fill and a dashed border. Here is an example from a map I'm working on. Again, it's a kludge and may not work for your application. But it works for me, since I am rendering the results as a raster image.

dashed.JPG
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 324Trusted User
    edited June 2015
    Hi Boyd,

That does look nice, but one drawback is that you're creating new features, which are "heavier" than line styles. On the othr hand, if it works...

One line style that I missed out on is that there is a double dashed line style available. Look for the line style labelled "Minus signs on Both (No Line)". It's not able to be parameterized much, but it may serve the purpose, and it's a line style, so you don't have extra features laying around (if that's important to you). That could be the basis for a more generalized set of double-line line styles.

best regards,

~Jeff
  • tiberioddtiberiodd Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited June 2015
    JeffH@BMG wrote: »
    Hi Boyd,

That does look nice, but one drawback is that you're creating new features, which are "heavier" than line styles. On the othr hand, if it works...

One line style that I missed out on is that there is a double dashed line style available. Look for the line style labelled "Minus signs on Both (No Line)". It's not able to be parameterized much, but it may serve the purpose, and it's a line style, so you don't have extra features laying around (if that's important to you). That could be the basis for a more generalized set of double-line line styles.

best regards,

~Jeff

Thank you Mr.Jeff
    Here with I attach an image where we have a 1:5000 raster map like a base level and a vectorial " Minus sign on Both" abowe. The idea is right but as we can see there is a scale problem;
    Regards Tiberio
    OSM1.bmp 297.5K