Global Mapper v25.0

Persistent Last Exported Bounds: GeoTIFF Export Dialog

Mykle
Mykle Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2015 in Raster Data
Persistent Last Exported Bounds
GeoTIFF Export Dialog

While manually converting a set of USGS GeoPDF to TIFF, the intent is to export all of each map. But the files were being cropped, and I had not specified any cropping during this project.

Start with an empty instance of Global Mapper, load a GeoPDF, export to GeoTIFF, UNLOAD ALL, then continue with the next map file.

Upon closer inspection, I looked at the Export Bounds tab. From experience with exporting other file types, I know that nothing will be checked if the bounds of the project are displayed, and that All Loaded Data will be checked if they are not displayed (display is zoomed in). In this case nothing was checked, but the Last Exported Bounds box is displayed to cover the bounds of the previous file even though a bounding box was not manually specified and the Reset to Last Exported Bounds button was not used.

My "workaround" is to select All Loaded Data and the export is done as intended.

Testing results:

A. The Last Exported Bounds box is displayed even if a saved workspace is loaded and then cleared before loading the first GeoPDF.

B. Start with a new instance of GM, no workspace file loaded. Exporting the first GeoPDF results in a bounding box set around the entire file (appropriate). Unload all, then load the next GeoPDF of a neighboring map, and during export the Export Bounds tab shows the bounding box of the previous file (not appropriate).

Is this the behavior that is expected?

While I can appreciate the bounding box being retained in a workspace, I would think that Unload All would clear it.

Sample screen shows b021315. Additional testing was done with
Global Mapper v16.1.3 (b022315) [64-bit] - REGISTERED

While we are here, please remind me where the setting is to default to "All Data Visible on Screen" rather than "All Loaded Data". More than once I have downloaded Online Data and attempted to save the results ... without remembering to check "All Data Visible on Screen", and the program choked on the Whole World :-) .

It would also be very useful to retain the selection between files, as done with other selections in the export dialog. Right now it displays the default for each export.

Thanks,
Mykle

GM1.png
GM1.png 297.5K

Comments

• Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2015
    Did this post get by all of the GM folk?
    Mykle checking in
  • PShorey
    PShorey Global Mapper Developer Moderator, Trusted User
    edited March 2015
    Mykle,

In your testing step B, is the bounding box displayed after you click on the "Reset to Last Exported Bound" button? There should not be a box shown unless you draw it or click the button. The "last bounds" used when you click the button are stored in the registry, and therefore will be persisted between files and GM instances. The button will be disabled if the last bounds are not within the currently loaded data.

There are settings to change the default export bounds selection. They are found in Configuration | General | Miscellaneous Advanced Options:
    [] Export: Use Current Screen Bounds by Default
    [] Export: Use Last Exported Bounds by Default (maybe you currently have this one checked?)
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2015
    Peter wrote:
    > There are settings to change the default export bounds selection. They are found in Configuration | General | Miscellaneous Advanced Options:
    > [ ] Export: Use Current Screen Bounds by Default
    > [x] Export: Use Last Exported Bounds by Default (maybe you currently have this one checked?)

Peter,
    Yes, I had the second option checked. When unchecked, the procedure is done as desired. Thank You!

I was also looking for the first option as it is preferred over "all loaded data" which can be problematic with data downloaded from a global on-line source.

HOWEVER: I strongly request that the "last bounds" be included in the workspace GMW file (if it is not already, I don't see it), and take precedence over registry values. I normally work with projects whose areas infrequently overlap, so workspace files are expected to shift the focus of the program completely from one project to the next. This is NOT being *completely* done at present, so I often need to re-export a file just so I can figure out where the first copy wound up, and go retrieve it. Each project has workspace files organized in a similar manner, "\<project>\MapBase\USGS" for example, so while I am in the flow of the project the file structure looks the same as other projects. SOME dialogs remain within the current project, others behave like they aren't paying attention and they are looking at a recently opened project.

That behavior gets me worked up. :-)
    Yeah, it's "Windows" behavior. Like having to click once to move the focus to a different program, then needing to click again on your choice. Some programs refuse to use this nonsense, making Windoze programs even more aggravating. Humbug. If GM was available in a Linux flavor ...
    We'll blame this mini-rant on my lingering head cold. But I'm in warm and sunny Tucson, so that excuse won't get me any sympathy. :-D
    Mykle