EPSG Codes for Datums/Linear units

smilesmile Global Mapper UserPosts: 171Trusted User
edited December 2007 in Projection Questions
Will it be possible to add datums/ellipsoid through EPSG codes to avoid any ambiguity while creating datums and ellipsoids?
and possibly for linear units like in the case of projections

Thanks

Smile

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2007
    If Global Mapper already knows the EPSG code for a particular datum or linear unit, then that datum or ellipsoid is already built in to Global Mapper, so it wouldn't make sense to add it. Global Mapper does not have some built-in table of all EPSG codes and the datum, ellipsoid, and/or unit parameters associated with those, it only has knowledge of EPSG codes for which support has already been specifically added.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • smilesmile Global Mapper User Posts: 171Trusted User
    edited October 2007
    I understand that Global Mapper has support for some codes and not all. I was only looking for a method to invoke just by typing the code and once the number is entered , just as in case of Projections though each and every code is not supported and not required to be supported.
    Thanks

Smile
    edited October 2007
    I did go ahead and make the 'Init from EPSG' button work for selecting a new datum if you enter a recognized EPSG datum code. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • smilesmile Global Mapper User Posts: 171Trusted User
    edited October 2007
    The "INIT from EPSG" button at Tools/Config/Projection or during rectification shall recognize both Datum and Projection codes built in , if the code is for datum , the datum shall be automatically updated to the selection as per code with a confirmation message
    "The entered EPSG Code corresponded to a Datum, so your datum was updated to match"

thanks

Smile
    edited October 2007
    That is correct.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • STHSTH Global Mapper User Posts: 434Trusted User
    edited December 2007
    I understand that GlobalMapper does not support all coordinate system built in by default. I just discovered http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/ and the feature "Init from EPSG"/"Load from file" on loading a file in GlobalMapper.

EPSG 27393 is currently not supported by GlobalMapper, but I thought it was possible to add it by selecting "Load from file". I copied the contents from http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/27393/proj4/ into a new file NGO2.prj and tried to open it. However it did not work.

Selecting "Init from EPSG" and 4273 works, because GlobalMapper supports this. However saving the proj4-file for 4273 and "Load from file" does not work.

Have I misunderstood the meaning of the "Load from file" option?
    edited December 2007
    The "Load from File" option is for loading PRJ format files in the old ESRI format and the new WKT format. It does not load proj4 projection definitions.

I have gone ahead and added support for the NGO zone EPSG codes. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com