Global Mapper v25.0

bug when joining files in 16.1

JSL
JSL Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2015 in Bug Report
I tried to join a text file to a layer, but the prompt merged all the columns of the join file into one, so it's impossible to make the join work--see the red outlined box below:

join bug.png

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited February 2015
    Hello,

It looks like Global Mapper could not parse the first line of your text file into separate columns to determine the column names. Did Global Mapper prompt you for the separator after you selected the file name? Can you post the text file you are trying to use for the join?

Cheers,

Bob
  • JSL
    JSL Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2015
    Sure, here it is. Thanks for the quick response.
  • JSL
    edited February 2015
    I realized the one I uploaded wasn't the file I showed in the example, but it doesn't matter, because I encountered the same problem using it.
  • bmg_bob
    edited February 2015
    Hello,

What delimiter did you select? I chose TAB as the delimiter for the file you posted, and it Global Mapper parsed into column names that match the file.

Cheers,

Bob
  • JSL
    edited February 2015
    Ah, I see, thanks for the quick response. How do you know which delimiter to use? I've always used comma before. Just trial and error?
  • bmg_bob
    edited February 2015
    JSL wrote: »
    How do you know which delimiter to use? I've always used comma before. Just trial and error?

I looked at the data in a text editor (such as Notepad). Since I didn't see any commas, and the data seemed pretty well lined up, I tried using Tab. Ultimately, you need to know what is in the data when you are using a text file for a join operation.

Cheers,

Bob
  • JSL
    edited February 2015
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind.