3d View Not Displaying Anything

eheeleheel Global Mapper UserPosts: 7
edited February 2015 in Technical Support
Hi, I have a DEM loaded in GlobalMapper and when I try to use the 3d View it doesn't display anything at all. I am a registered user. Any suggestions?

Comments

• JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 324Trusted User
    edited February 2015
    Hi eheel,

What version of Global Mapper are you using? Does the 3D viewer display other types of data, for example, vector data? Are there any error messages popping up?

best regards,

~Jeff
  • eheeleheel Global Mapper User Posts: 7
    edited February 2015
    Hi Jeff! I am using v15.2. Originally I had a DEM loaded, an orthophoto (.ecw file) loaded and "Textured" to the DEM, and also an area shapefile. When I tried to view these when they are all loaded, or when either one is individually loaded, the 3d Viewer doesn't display anything at all. Here is a screenshot of the 3d View window:
    Blank 3d View Screenshot.PNG
    edited February 2015
    Hi eheel,

So are you saying that you cannot get anything to show in the 3D viewer? Is this a new problem, or have you not used the 3D view before?

My first thought is that you have a problem with your video drivers. What video card/device are you using?

~Jeff
    edited February 2015
    Hi Jeff, I do not believe I have used the 3d Viewer before, and you are correct that I cannot get anything to display. I am on Windows 7 and my video card is a Nvidia GeForce GTS 240.
    edited February 2015
    Can you do me a favor and go to this site and download the GPU Caps Viewer program, and run it? I'm interested in particular in knowing what the OpenGL driver string is; you're find it on the GPU tab about 2/3s of the way down the window -- you could just screen-cap that tab and post it, if it's convenient. Thanks.
    edited February 2015
    Ok I downloaded the Caps Viewer, here is the OpenGL string, and the screenshot is below:

OpenGL 3.2 (GeForce GTS 240/PCI/SSE2 with 198 ext.)

Thanks for all your help!

Caps Viewer Results.PNG
    edited February 2015
    OK, although it's not clear to me what the specific problem that you're seeing is, it does appear that your video driver is a bit out of date (that's the Driver string, which references a date of 4-3-2010). I'd recommend going to the NVidia site (Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers ; make sure that you get the Product entry correct, it's the "GeForce GTS 240") and download and install the latest driver for your device -- I think it was last updated in June 2014.

One more thing that I should mention: the current version of Global Mapper is now 16.0 (and we're on the cusp of releasing 16.1), so you may want to consider upgrading at some point. But hopefully we can first get GM 15.2 working for you with respect to 3D.

~Jeff
    edited February 2015
    The driver update did the trick! Thanks for your help and the quick responses :D As for moving to v16, I don't think it is in the cards for my organization quite yet because we only moved to v15 in the fall.

Cheers,
    Eric
    edited February 2015
    Hi Eric,

Glad to hear that it was a simple as a driver update. No worries about upgrading, but I would have been remiss not to mention it. :) You probably should check out the updated features in the later versions, though -- we've been working really hard at adding improvements.

best regards,

~Jeff