Export to ParaView

Greg NashGreg Nash Global Mapper UserPosts: 21Trusted User
edited January 2015 in Vector Data
Is there a file format that I can use for exporting to ParaView? Can I export a general polygon into a format that ParaView can read?

Comments

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,058
    edited December 2014
    Hello Greg,

Global Mapper can export polygon data to a large variety of vector formats. Which ones can ParaView read?

Cheers,

Bob
  • Greg NashGreg Nash Global Mapper User Posts: 21Trusted User
    edited December 2014
    Hi Bob,

ParaView can read a large variety of formats. You can find the full list here. I've looked through the list of GM's vector outputs and the list of ParaView imports, but I don't see any overlap. Maybe you can see something I've missed? In the past, when I wanted to view things in 3D, I've written software to output ParaView's legacy .vtk format, which is fairly simple. It's described here. I'm using ParaView because my dataset seems to be too large for GM's 3D viewer.

Greg
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,058
    edited December 2014
    Hi Greg,

The only overlap I see is VRML. In Global Mapper, use File->Export->Export Web Format..., and choose VRML from the list. I don't know for sure that this will get you exactly what you need, but it seems worth a try. Global Mapper exports GIS data types, and it looks like ParaView is looking for something else.

Cheers,

Bob
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 324Trusted User
    edited December 2014
    Hi Greg,

I'm curious to know what you mean by your "dataset seems to be too large for GM's 3D viewer". What types of data are you having trouble with, how large is the dataset, etc.?

Best regards,

~Jeff
    edited December 2014
    Bob and Jeff,

Bob: I haven't exported a web format before. When I select that format and press OK, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Jeff: I have a set of 529,312 points. In the 3D viewer, it's so slow that it's difficult to rotate the object.
    Overlay Control Center.png

Greg
  • MykleMykle Global Mapper User Posts: 447Trusted User
    edited December 2014
    If you do not have an elevation layer loaded, visible, and within the screen view, you will not see anything.
    No dialog, no error message, no nuttin. I'm sure there are other combinations that could be included here.

Suggest that an informative message be displayed as with other operations (like exporting a csv file without point data to export, and hopefully it is displayed BEFORE you have set up your dialog options and not AFTER you thought you were starting your export :-P ).

Cheers,
    Mykle
    edited December 2014
    Mykle,

Are you saying that the VRML format is for elevation layers? I'm trying to export a polygon (survey boundary) to ParaView. I was able to import the same .csv file into ParaView that I had imported into Global Mapper. However, the polygon is from a shapefile. If I could export that into a format that ParaView can read, then I could see it all in 3D.

Greg
  • MykleMykle Global Mapper User Posts: 447Trusted User
    edited December 2014
    Greg,

I'm simply noting that when you select a VRML export that nothing happens unless you have an elevation layer loaded, visible, and within the screen view. The program could be more informative when the requirements for a user choice are not complete.

I do not have experience working with VRML, and simply played with an existing project to come up with my observations.

Given the definition of the file format, I would think that any vector data that includes 3D coordinates should be exportable. If you have 3D vector data, and it isn't displaying the export dialog, that would be worth comments from the GM developers as to what the export requirements are. Given the help file notes below, 3D vector data may not be supported.

From the help file:
    VRML
    The Export VRML command allows the user to export any loaded elevation grid data and raster data sets to a VRML file for display in a VRML viewer, such as the Cortona VRML Client.

When selected, the command displays the VRML World File Export Options dialog which allows the user to setup the export. The dialog consists of a General options panel which allows the user to set up the grid spacing, vertical exaggeration, and compression options, and an Export Bounds panel which allows the user to set up the portion of the loaded data they wish to export.

Definitions from Wikipedia:
    VRML (Virtual Reality Modeling Language is a standard file format for representing 3-dimensional (3D) interactive vector graphics, designed particularly with the World Wide Web in mind. It has been superseded by X3D.

X3D is a royalty-free ISO standard XML-based file format for representing 3D computer graphics.

Cheers,
    Mykle
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 324Trusted User
    edited December 2014
    Hi Greg,

Is your point set Lidar points, or point features? Judging by your screen shot, it looks like it's not Lidar.

thanks,

~Jeff
    edited January 2015
    Jeff,

Nope, it's not lidar. It's subsurface data, provided by our client. It's regularly spaced, so it must have undergone some sort of gridding. It's probably derived mostly from seismic interpretations. I have several horizons of this sort, layered one over another.

Greg