Global Mapper v25.0

starting GM from command line not working anymore-GM 16

geodesist
geodesist Global Mapper User
edited December 2014 in Technical Support
I was always able to open a .gmw file by double clicking on it. After installing version 16, I get an error message "access denied", on all files that I try to open, many of which are long existing files that I was always able to open previously. This happens whether I am logged in as a normal user or with administrator privileges. I am using Windows 7 Pro.

If I first open GM, and then do file...Load Workspace, they open fine. Even with GM open I get the "access denied" message if I try to double click a .gmw file outside of GM.

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited December 2014
    Hello,

This bug was fixed in the latest version of Global Mapper (v16.0.5. b111714 or later), which is available at the following link:

Global Mapper download link: Global Mapper Downloads

Cheers,

Bob
  • geodesist
    edited December 2014
    bmg_bob wrote: »
    Hello,

This bug was fixed in the latest version of Global Mapper (v16.0.5. b111714 or later), which is available at the following link:

Global Mapper download link: Global Mapper Downloads

Cheers,

Bob
    I downloaded and installed the latest...Global Mapper v16.0.5 (b111814) [64-bit] - REGISTERED.

Same problem. Is a reboot required?
  • geodesist
    edited December 2014
    I had to reboot this morning, and the problem is still there. Should I have uninstalled the previous build?
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited December 2014
    Hello,

A reboot should not be required for this fix. Using Global Mapper as the default program for workspace files requires significant registry manipulation. Mike recently updated Global Mapper to produce the correct configuration, but, in your case, it appears to be not working correctly. This forum thread has some suggestions for registry tweaks that have helped other users. A complete uninstall and install of Global Mapper might reset the registry configuration also.

In Explorer, when you right-click on a workspace file, you should get a context menu that includes Open with, and when you hover there, you should see a list that includes Global Mapper 16. Is that in the list you see? If so, what happens if you click on it?

Another item in that context menu is Choose default program..., which should let you browse to global_mapper.exe and choose it as the default program. Have you tried that?

Cheers,

Bob