Global Mapper v25.0

Saving Configuration Settings

Eagle2
Eagle2 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2014 in Technical Support
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the Config settings - specifically the Advanced Options tick boxes. Is it possible to export these settings in order to transfer between computers, or when upgrading to a new version? It's frustrating to have to go back and reset all our settings across the office for every new version of Global Mapper. If this isn't currently supported, would it be something I may be able to look forward to in a future update?

Thanks a lot,
Bryan

Comments

• Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Extend this concept a bit (and you have seen me write about this in workflow discussions).

1. The program has default settings.
    2. The user/company could have global setting preferences that get loaded when the program is run (from a file located in user settings). As Brian describes, this file would easily move to new computers and be preserved for new program versions.
    3. Project settings would probably be best saved in the workspace file for each project.

I work on many projects for different clients and in different locations. Details like hillshading settings need to be able to be different in each project, as an example.

Along the same lines, set up the folders defined with the program to have a choice of philosophy. It seems that the Microsoft philosophy wants to import/export files into separate folders which may be part of completely separate projects that aren't the one I'm working with. So I wind up retrieving files from who-knows-where (by starting an export of the same file and noting this time where it is going). My preference would be to import/export files with a set of folders much more closely related to the workspace file.

I'll stop here before getting wound up and typing for a few more pages :-D
    Mykle