Global Mapper Pro

bug when copying layers containing polygons cut from other polygons

JSL
JSL Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2014 in Bug Report
I discovered a bug in the copy process when trying to cut one polygon from another. When I copy both polygons to another layer, the larger polygon does not retain the cutout feature (see attached workspace). You can try this yourself: draw a square, draw another square inside it, cut the smaller from the larger, and try to copy them both. When you select the larger square in the original layer, you can see the cutout, but when you select the larger square in the copied layer, you can't.

I tried downloading the latest version, but still got the bug. This is really messing up my area measurements, because I have many layers like this. Any help would be most appreciated!

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited November 2014
    Hi,

What version of Global Mapper are you using?

In v16, I selected only the outer feature (so I can see the cutout), then copied and pasted that feature to another layer. The resulting feature looks the same as the original, and I can see the cutout when I select it. You don't need to also select the cutout feature.

Cheers,

Bob
  • JSL
    JSL Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Hi Bob, I'm using the latest version. The problem is, I need both the shape that was cut out and the shape it was cut out from. The problem occurs when I copy and paste them both together.

Thanks for your help...
  • bmg_bob
    edited November 2014
    Hi,

Just to make sure I have your workflow correct: When you cut the smaller rectangle from the larger rectangle, did you choose to delete the area feature that was cut out?

Cheers,

Bob
  • JSL
    edited November 2014
    Hi Bob,

I don't remember what I did exactly, but I think I would not have chosen the delete option because I wanted to preserve the polygon that I'd cut out. I tried to replicate what I did in the attached workspace. The first layer is the original layer after I've cut all the polygons out of the background layer. The second shows what happens when I cut and paste that first layer--the holes aren't preserved. The third shows what happened when I cut one of the smaller enclosed basins out of the second layer--it seemed to restore all the holes, so that it looks like the first layer again. Very confusing--I appreciate any help.
  • bmg_bob
    edited November 2014
    Hi,

I reproduced the problem, so I opened bug #14906 to investigate this behavior. We will post back here when the problem has been resolved.

Cheers,

Bob
  • JSL
    edited November 2014
    Thank you very much.
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    I found the issue with the island being duplicated (and thus not showing up since overlapping holes result in a positive area) when copying to the clipboard with both the parent and island selected. I've fixed that now.

I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper16
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper16_64bit

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • JSL
    edited November 2014
    Thanks, Mike, it worked when I tried it with a new set of polygons, but it doesn't seem to be working for my old files--see the attached workspace. I reinstalled GM just wanted to make sure that I have the right installation. If that's the way it is, I guess not much I can do.

Thanks for the quick response.
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    I have updated the load of the workspaces to automatically detect the duplicate islands and mark the duplicates as deleted so you can load your old workspaces created when the bug was in there. I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper16
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper16_64bit

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation