GSF Format

Mark GaleMark Gale Global Mapper UserPosts: 39Trusted User
edited November 2014 in Elevation Data
Hi,

Is it possible (or likely to be possible in the near future) to import GSF data into GM?

Cheers.

Comments

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,061
    edited November 2014
    Hi Mark,

I assume you are referring to Generic Sensor Format, as described here: https://www.leidos.com/maritime/gsf. Correct?

Cheers,

Bob
  • Mark GaleMark Gale Global Mapper User Posts: 39Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Yep, that's the one. :)
    edited November 2014
    Hi Mark,

I have added feature request #14852 to our task list so we can evaluate adding this functionality to a future version of Global Mapper.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Mark GaleMark Gale Global Mapper User Posts: 39Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks Bob,

Sounds great.
    bmg_bob said:
    I have added feature request #14852 to our task list so we can evaluate adding this functionality to a future version of Global Mapper.
    We have started working on adding a GSF importer to Global Mapper, and I have a few questions for people who have experience using this type of data:
    1. It looks like the best way to import this data is as a collection of point features that represent the soundings.  The point features will include a depth attribute, and can be processed into an elevation grid in Global Mapper.  Are there other representations of the data that you would expect to see?
    2. A GSF file contains a lot of metadata.  What information would be most useful to have carried over into the Global Mapper layer metadata?
    3. Similarly, there is a lot of metadata for each ping.  What kinds of information would be useful as attributes on the sounding features?
    Thank you.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Hello,

The initial implementation of GSF import will be in Global Mapper 18 daily builds dated November 7, 2016, or later. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.

Cheers,
    Bob