Global Mapper Pro

Importing shape files from Falconview (PFPS)

Sean Bampton
Sean Bampton Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2014 in Vector Data
When opening shape files in GM that were created in Falconview, the polygons aren't automatically generated (it's just four connected lines) and the labels for the shape files also show up as shape files themselves, not as a NAME attribute to the polygon.

Is this an issue with GM (v14) or with the export method used by FV?

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited November 2014
    Hi Sean,

By definition, a shapefile contains one geometry type. If the file contains lines, Global Mapper will display lines, even if the lines are closed and appear to be areas.

I am not sure what you mean by, "the labels for the shape files also show up as shape files themselves, not as a NAME attribute to the polygon". Do you mean that the labels are point features in a separate shapefile instead of being attributes on an area feature?

Can you attach a zip file with some samples of the shapefiles from Falconview?

Cheers,

Bob
  • Sean Bampton
    Sean Bampton Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2014
    Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this:
    Do you mean that the labels are point features in a separate shapefile instead of being attributes on an area feature?
    Sort of. The labels contain individual lines, which form letters that are contained in the same shape file as the lines which should (but don't) form polygons.

I'm unable to attach files for security reasons, but I think the root problem is the way an ACO/ATO is created in FalconView. Much appreciated.