Global Mapper v25.0

Create Line with Distance & Bearing Segments?

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2014 in Technical Support
Trying to create a center line of my driveway to submit to the BLM. A small portion is on BLM land. I have an excellent Google Earth image showing the driveway. I'd like to start at the road and freehand click vector segments back to my property. These segments would have distance and bearing attached.

It would seem that the COGO Line tool is my ticket? Except it seems to want numeric distance & bearing rather than freehand clicks on the GE image.

Is there a happy solution for me? Currently using GM13. My searches yielded clues, no answer.

Thanks

Comments

• Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Roger,

It seems like if you just created a freehand vector line, then used "split into segments at each vertex", then "added measure attributes"; each segment would then have a distance and a bearing attribute. I think V13 did those things, but I can't remember for sure. You could make another copy of the unsegmented line and save it before splitting if you needed that too.

Mark
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks Mark,

After posting I got thinking about a solution. Occurred to me I could create the line, as you suggested, then ID each vertex and use that data for the COGO dialog.

Both seem awkward and I'm hoping for an "elegant" solution. Perhaps someone more expert will post.

Roger
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited November 2014
    Hi Roger,

When you say that you want to create a center line to submit to BLM, exactly what result are you looking for? Do you need a spreadsheet of location, distance, and bearing, or is it something else?

The COGO dialog is used to create a line when you have the location, distance, and bearing already. If you want to do the opposite, i.e., create a line and generate distance and bearing for each segment, then Ice Age Mark's solution is a good one.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks Bob & Mark,

The technique you suggest works, except: how do I get the measured values of distance and bearing to display on the map? I'm only seeing the values in the dialog.

Making my GPS maps I've never had to deal with measurements.

Roger