Global Mapper v25.0

3DS Max Terrain to XYZ

veddycent
veddycent Global Mapper User
edited October 2014 in Elevation Data
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble converting a terrain to xyz file. The terrain starts in 3DS Max, I export as a DWG and import it into Global Mapper. I grid it to generate a terrain but when I preview it in 3D the terrain is flat, which I know for a fact it is not (also the shading on the GRIDDED terrain is totally flat). So I try a DAE and an OBJ file, which show the terrain in 3D as it should, but when I try and GRID both of them (individually) it says 'Failed to generate any elevation grid tiles'.

Could someone assist me in the process (if its even possible) as I have searched the web to no avail.

I have attached the DWG and DAE of the terrain.
Terrain.zip

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks

Comments

• veddycent
    edited October 2014
    Oh I forgot to mention that I use Orthographic, OSGB36 projection when loading in all the files
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited October 2014
    Hi veddycent,

I had a look at the files you attached. The DWG file doesn't appear to have any elevations other than 0 in it, and that's why it's flat. The DAE loads directly into Global Mapper 16, and shows the terrain as it should. Are you sure that you exported the DWG correctly?

regards,

~Jeff
  • veddycent
    edited October 2014
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.
    The DAE and DWG are both exported from the same data so I don't understand why there is no elevation. In 3DS there are no useful options when exporting as a DWG, only which version i.e. 2007, 2010 etc

The DWG aside is it possible to export the DAE as an XYZ file?

Regards
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited October 2014
    Hi veddycent,

I can't speak to how to get get elevations when exporting to DWG in whatever software you're using, I'm sorry to say.

And with respect to DAE in GlobalMapper, the answer's "no" at this point. Currently, 3D models like DAE, 3DS, OBJ, etc. are pretty much view-only. It's on our list to make them be more functional.

regards,

~Jeff
  • veddycent
    edited October 2014
    Thanks Jeff,

I'm really not sure why the elevation isn't included. I could be that the layout of the data in the file is jumbled up so GM cant read it.
    Not to worry. Ill have to scrap this data and use some other.

Thanks for your help.
    Regards
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited October 2014
    Hi veddycent,

It's possible that we're dropping the ball on 3D elevations, but I don't think so. We do use a 3rd-party library to translate DWG files to DXF, whereupon we then handle the load ourselves, but I've tested this against a couple of DWG files that contain elevations (one is a set of contours) and the elevations come through just fine. Do you have the use of some other program that could be used to verify whether the 3D information is in the DWG that you have?

best,

~Jeff