Tiff Spatial Reference Info Options

geojockgeojock Global Mapper UserPosts: 6
edited October 2014 in Raster Data
What types of spatial reference can GM read for tifs? It looks like it can read tfw, but what about header info (geotif) or aux.xml files that contain the spatial reference? If the info is in multiple places, which one does it look for first? What about on the export side?

Comments

• geojockgeojock Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited October 2014
    Anyone have any thoughts on this? Am I only limited to tfw for tifs in GM??
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 337Trusted User
    edited October 2014
    Hi geojock,

As best I can tell by looking at the code, Global Mapper can use aux.xml, TFW and/or header information, along with other types of world files. Aux.xml is preferred, followed by header info, followed by TFW (but you can configure Global Mapper to prefer TFW over header info). On export, you can generate associated TFW, PRJ or OziExplorer .map files. I know that this is brief, but please feel free to ask for more detail if required, and I can delve some more.

best regards,

~Jeff
  • geojockgeojock Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited October 2014
    Jeff,
    Thanks for the info. Which version is as you described? It only seems to reconize tfw for me. I am in v13.0.
    thanks again.
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 337Trusted User
    edited October 2014
    Hello geojock,

Ah, that makes a difference. I was describing what I see in the current version 16 code base. It's a little hard for me to tell exactly what changed when, but as best I can tell, the aux.xml changes didn't come in until version 14, so you'd need to upgrade to get that feature. You should contact gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com if you'd like to pursue that.

thanks,

~Jeff