Disappearing Lines

ClaireClaire Global Mapper UserPosts: 6
edited October 2014 in Technical Support
Global Mapper v 15.2

Running Windows 7 32bit SP1

I am currently working on a map of an oil lease in Northern PA. Included are the lease boundaries, roads, well locations, pipelines (water, oil and gas), pipeline valves, electric lines, and plant stations. This map was originally started by a previous employee and I started working on it a few weeks ago.

A few days ago I began drawing in the pipelines for the northern section of the lease. Starting with the water lines, I created a line, selected the water lines layer, gave it a customized style of a 3 pixel width, and made it blue. I also added the attributes of type (water), size (2) and material (steel). I checked the box at the bottom to "Automatically apply these settings to new features of the same type." I did the same for oil line, gas lines, all 3 types of valves, and electric lines. Most of these are parallel to each other and to a road.
I saved throughout the day and again before I left. When I came back the next morning and opened the file, many of the lines I had drawn the day before were missing. The lines which were missing were seemingly random, with gas, oil and water lines appearing sporadically across the northern section of the lease.
I tried exporting all of the layer packages from a previous version of the file and reloading them onto a new map, but I had the exact same problem.

Please help!

Claire

Comments

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,061
    edited October 2014
    Hi Claire,

The latest version of Global Mapper 15.2 is 15.2.9. Is this the version you are using? (Use Help->About Global Mapper... to get the full version number.) If not, please try updating to the latest version. This will give you the latest bug fixes and enhancements. If you are already using 15.2.9, or the problem persists after you start using it, please let me know and we will see if we can figure out what is going wrong.

Global Mapper download link: Global Mapper Downloads

(You will need to scroll down the page to find the latest installer for version 15.2.)

Cheers,

Bob
  • ClaireClaire Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited October 2014
    Bob,

I updated Global Mapper to 15.2.9 (was running 15.2.5) and I'm still having the same problem.

I have found one way to keep things on the map properly:
    Once I'm done working on a layer, I save, export the layer and reload it.

This works but doesn't seem like a good permanent solution to me.

Claire
    edited October 2014
    Hi Claire,

I will see if I can reproduce this problem. This is my understanding of what you are doing. Please correct me if I have misunderstood you.

1) Draw a line.
    2) Define the style (3 pixels wide and blue, in your case)
    3) Add some attributes (3 in your case)
    4) Check the box to "Automatically apply settings..."
    5) Click OK.
    6) Draw several more lines.
    7) Periodically save the workspace.
    8) Close Global Mapper, saving the workspace one final time.
    9) Start Global Mapper and load the workspace that I saved above.

Cheers,

Bob
    edited October 2014
    I know it sounds crazy, but yes that's it
    edited October 2014
    Hi Claire,

I was able to reproduce the problem. It appears to be related to the fact that you selected an existing layer when adding the new features. I will fix this problem, but in the meantime, I have a work-around that is, I hope, better than having to export the layer every time.

When you create the new features, don't change the Feature Layer from the default "<User Created Features>". After you have added the new features that belong to a particular layer, select all of the new features, right-click and choose Edit Selected Features... On the Modify Selected Line Features window, choose the target layer name from the Feature Layer list, and click OK. Setting the feature layer this way will make sure they get saved in the workspace.

I will post back here when I have fixed the bug.

Cheers,

Bob
    edited October 2014
    Hi Claire,

I was able to find and fix the problem pretty quickly. You can find a fixed version of Global Mapper at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files (do not uninstall Global Mapper). The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper15
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper15_64bit

Cheers,

Bob
    edited October 2014
    Bob,
    Thank you so much. You have been so helpful.
    Claire
    edited October 2014
    I downloaded the fix, and now only some of my lines disappear when I close Global Mapper.