Global Mapper Pro

opening USGS GIS files

JSL
JSL Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2014 in Vector Data
I'm trying to load a GIS file of oil fields from this USGS website: USGS Online Publications Directory, and the ReadMe is below--I'm trying to find out if there's any way of loading any of those files in GM?

GIS DATA - Read Me

Abstract:
The boundaries illustrated by these Assessment Units contained in the dds69ff.gdb geodatabase are the result of geologic studies conducted by the World Petroleum Resources Project, 2009-2011 (Project). The boundaries were used to assess the oil and gas resources within the unit. An assessment unit, as defined by the Project, is a mapped volume of rock within the Total Petroleum System (TPS), sufficiently homogeneous in terms of geology, exploration strategy, and risk characteristics to constitute a single population of discovered and undiscovered fields with respect to criteria used for resource assessment. Relatedly, the TPS is the essential elements and processes, as well as all genetically related hydrocarbons that occur in petroleum shows, seeps, and accumulations (discovered and undiscovered), whose source is a pod or closely related pods of active source rock.

The data are provided for interactive analysis in a Geographic Information System data package using the ArcGIS map document (file extension MXD) and published map file (file extension PMF). The data are stored in an ESRI ArcGIS 10.0 file based Geodatabase (dds69ff.gdb) consisting of two Feature Datasets. The WEP Feature Dataset contains World Energy Assessment Units and the CARA Feature Dataset consists of select Circum-Artic Resource Appraisal Assessment Units.
The GIS/metadata folder contains FGDC-compliant metadata for both WEP assessment units and CARA assessment units.

CONTENTS:

dds69ff.gdb
dds69ff.mxd
dds69ff.pmf
GIS Readme.txt

Metadata Folder
cara_au.xml
wep_au.xml

A pmf file is available and ArcReader may be downloaded free of charge from ArcReader | Overview for viewing the high-quality interactive map authored using ArcGIS for Desktop and published with the ArcGIS Publisher extension.

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited August 2014
    Hello JSL,

Global Mapper can read Esri Geodatabases created with ArcGIS 10.0 or higher, so you should be able to import the dds69ff.gdb data set. Note that you will need to browse to the dds69ff.gdb directory and then select the file called "gdb".

Cheers,

Bob

• JSL
    JSL Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Hello Bob, thank you for that information--however, when I tried to open the gdb file with GM I got the message in the attachment below:

gdb error.png

Here's the link to the directory from which I downloaded the gdb file (second file from the bottom): USGS Online Publications Directory

Am I downloading the correct file, or are there two or more files I should be downloading together, like when importing shapefiles?

Thanks for your help.
  • JSL
    edited August 2014
    I tried another approach, but that didn't work either. I went to this page:

USGS Online Publications Directory

and downloaded the zip file into a new folder. Then I tried to open the gdb file from the GIS folder in the unzipped directory tree and got the following error in GM:

Unable to load overlay gdb
    Error opening table \CARA\CARA_AU.
    Invalid function arguments.
    ESRIFileGDBOverlay.cpp - 1046
    Version: v15.2.6 (64-bit)
    Build Time: Jul 18 2014 18:14:20

GM recognized the gdb file but couldn't open it.

Thanks for any help.
  • bmg_bob
    edited August 2014
    Hello JSL,

I can reproduce the error, and will investigate to see if I can find the cause.

Do you have a copy of ArcGIS installed? If you do, you should be able to open this GDB using the 32-bit version of Global Mapper (I was able to). The library we use to read Esri GDB's in the 64-bit version of Global Mapper has limitations with respect to the data it will read from a GDB. For example, it can not be used to read raster data (although that is not the problem with your GDB). Also, it does not support custom projections. When I imported the CARA_AU table using 32-bit Global Mapper and native Esri functions, Global Mapper detected that the projection was not a standard one. Perhaps this is what is causing the error.

Cheers,

Bob
  • JSL
    edited August 2014
    Hello Bob, no, I do not have ArcGIS.
  • JSL
    edited August 2014
    I would hope the USGS would not make their products only accessible by ESRI software.
  • bmg_bob
    edited August 2014
    Hi JSL,

According to ArcGIS, the CARA_AU table is in the "Stereographic_North_Pole" projection. According to the documentation, the Esri FileGDB library supports a projection called "North_Pole_Stereographic", but not one with the exact same name as the CARA_AU table. I don't know if this is causing the problem, but it seems to be a possibility.

In any event, I modified Global Mapper so that it will skip tables that cannot be opened by the FileGDB API. This allows Global Mapper to import the other table in that GDB. I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files (do not uninstall Global Mapper). The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper15
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper15_64bit

Cheers,

Bob
  • JSL
    edited August 2014
    Thank you! GM's value and sterling support is a huge part of why it's a superior product.