Global Mapper v25.0

Move layer after another not working

Ice Age Mark
Ice Age Mark Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2014 in Bug Report
Howdy,

The "Move selected layer(s) after another layer" feature doesn't seem to be working. Nothing happens.

Thanks in advance for fixing it.

Mark

Global Mapper v15.2.8 (b080714) [64-bit] - REGISTERED

Comments

• Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Hello again,

Did this get missed, or is it taking a long time to fix. Moving newly loaded layers through a large group is a pain.

Thanks,

Mark
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited August 2014
    Hi Mark,

The order in which layers get drawn is controlled by a setting on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration window:

LayerOrder.png

When using Order Features by Type Before Layer Order, vector layers are always displayed over raster layers, and lines and points will be displayed over area features. Given this, it is possible that moving a layer in the order will seem to have no effect. This is the default setting. Changing this option to Order Vector Features by Layer Order First will allow you to control the display order by moving the layers up and down in the list.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Ice Age Mark
    edited August 2014
    Hello there,

The layer order choice is set to the default (order by type), and I'm not trying to move layers in a way that contradicts that. An example would be:

Large area Low Resolution DEM 1GB
    Smaller area 10m DEM's 400MB
    County NAIP Imagery 3.9GB
    Raster image partially transparent 150MB
    Vector Layer
    Vector Layer
    Vector layer...

Now I load a high resolution small area raster image (500MB) and it loads at the bottom of the list. I want it just after the NAIP imagery. I select it, choose to "move after another layer", choose the NAIP as the layer to move it after, press OK - and it doesn't move. With this much loaded data the redraw time is sometimes almost a full minute, so to simply move the new layer where I want it takes several full minutes and 4 moves. Sometimes I can move groups up or down to get the desired position in fewer moves, but the function under discussion is not working for me at all, i.e the selected layer doesn't move.

Thanks for testing this,

Mark

Global Mapper v15.2.8 (b080714) [64-bit] - REGISTERED
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Hi Mark,

I think I see a problem with using "Move selected layers after another layer" if the layers you want to move are lower down in the list than the layer you want to move after (i.e., you're moving layers upwards in the list), which seems to be the case that you've pointed out. It appears to work fine if you're moving layers down in the list. I'd call that a bug. I did find an existing bug (#14148) in our database that also notes a problem with this operation, so I'll add this scenario to it, and link back to this entry.

There is a workaround that should work in many cases, if you flip around the logic a bit. Lets call the layer that you want to move layers after the target layer. The idea behind this operation is that you want to transform the list such that all unselected layers down to and including the target layer appear first in the new list, followed by the selected layers, followed by the remaining unselected layers. So if instead you select the layers that you want to be at the end instead of the layers that you want to move up, and move those after the last layer, you should get the same result that you intended. There are some scenarios where this won't work, but in your case -- moving the NAIP layer up to a new location in the list -- you should be able to select the layers that should after NAIP, and select the NAIP layer as the target layer.

Oh, and there is a trick that can make moving things around in the Overlay Control Center a little easier / quicker if you need to do a lot of moving around without waiting around for redraws. You can multi-select layers, and a click in one of the selected layer's checkbox will toggle all of the selected layers on or off. So if you have all of your layers enabled, and you want to move some of them up or down without waiting for multiple redraws, select them all, toggle them off, move the layers to their desired location, select them all again, and toggle them all on again.

~Jeff
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Edit for the above workaround: where it says "NAIP layer", it should say "high resolution small area raster image". The NAIP layer would be the intended target layer to do the simple move up (which is broken): the layer after which the hi-res raster should appear. So instead, select all layers after the NAIP layer except for the hi-res image, and select as the target layer the hi-res image.

~Jeff
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2014
    The functionality was indeed broken so it only worked to move a layer down but not up in the list. I've fixed now.

I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper15
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper15_64bit

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Ice Age Mark
    edited August 2014
    Thank you very much gentlemen, both for the fix and for the suggestion to speed up the layer move process. I have a couple of gargantuan workspaces that I am constantly adjusting, and this really helps. Looking forward to the multi-core speed improvements.

Thanks again,

Mark
  • Abbyabi098
    Abbyabi098 Global Mapper User
    edited August 2014
    Mark I think this is a problem of moving layers to each other. Hope now you solve the issue.... Keep posting here with these valuable suggestions.