Global Mapper v25.0

Create area with holes in it

Hunter Geophysics
Hunter Geophysics Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2014 in Suggestion Box
Hi Mike,

Just wondering if something could please be added to allow the creation of areas (e.g. using the pre-existing area creation tools) with gaps missing in the middle of it?

Example attached: I surveyed a cemetery and mapped the headstones present. I then needed to create an area around the headstones. The headstones are shown in grey, the area I needed to create is shown in light-blue (ignore the dark blue and yellow areas).

Rather than creating several small areas (and having the tiny gaps between them showing up as small black lines), it would be better to create one big area, which would cover where the headstones are, and then click a button that either

a) lets you manually erase parts of the area (like an eraser tool in Photoshop), or
b) will automatically clear any part of the light blue area that is covering any map object in a specific layer (e.g. if I have all the headstones and ONLY the headstones in one layer, I could tell GM to use that layer as a basis for "cutting holes" in the new light-blue area to be created.

Option B would be better as it would only take a single mouse-click and would be more precise.

The current solution of stitching together several small areas around the headstones doesn't exactly look all that professional...

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Snap 2014-07-17 at 15.24.06.png

Comments

• tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Dave,

See this entry in the manual. Does that let you do what you need?

Tim
  • Hunter Geophysics
    Hunter Geophysics Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    tjhb wrote: »
    Dave,

See this entry in the manual. Does that let you do what you need?

Tim

Hi Tim; that worked perfectly! Thanks! :D