Any way to have the WASD keys act as arrows?

PJJPJJ Global Mapper UserPosts: 2
edited August 2014 in Technical Support
With my workflow in Global Mapper, I'm often scrolling to the left/right as I label and move points. With my right hand on my mouse, it breaks things up for me to have to constantly switch my hand off the keyboard and move to arrow keys. Is there any way to set up global mapper so that the WASD keys can act as arrows (sort of like how they are set up in video games)? This way I could keep my left hand on the keyboard to scroll and my right hand on the mouse.

Thanks

Comments

• JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 321Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Hi PJJ,

This appears to be possible, as I was able to prototype it here pretty easily, but I'm going to consult with Mike as to whether there are any potential drawbacks to my approach, and if there's anything else we should consider, and whether this would be available in GM 15 or in a future release. I'll post back here when I know more.

Thanks for using Global Mapper,

~Jeff
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 321Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    By the way, there's another approach that you could try out yourself: use the 3rd-party AutoHotKey application to map the 'WASD keys into their equivalent arrow keys. The script that I found by doing a web search on "AutoHotKey WASD" was this:
    #IfWinActive Global Mapper
    :*:w::{Up}
    :*:s::{Down}
    :*:a::{Left}
    :*:d::{Right}
    #IfWinActive

(just don't ask me to explain it. :))

Sorry that I didn't think of this sooner.

Regards,

~Jeff
  • PJJPJJ Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    JeffH@BMG wrote: »
    By the way, there's another approach that you could try out yourself: use the 3rd-party AutoHotKey application to map the 'WASD keys into their equivalent arrow keys. The script that I found by doing a web search on "AutoHotKey WASD" was this:
    #IfWinActive Global Mapper
    :*:w::{Up}
    :*:s::{Down}
    :*:a::{Left}
    :*:d::{Right}
    #IfWinActive

(just don't ask me to explain it. :))

Sorry that I didn't think of this sooner.

Regards,

~Jeff

Yep that definitely works! Thanks for this.