User created features temporarily disappear

DGriffithDGriffith Global Mapper UserPosts: 70Trusted User
edited August 2014 in Technical Support
After creating User Created Features on a new overlay, they sometimes temporarily disappear the next time I open the file. The features are still there, and eventually by turning various overlays off and on or zooming out to the maximum and back suddenly they reappear. It acts as if the new user overlay doesn't always get read and displayed by GM when the file is opened. The overlay shows in the Control Center with the correct number of features, but the features are not displayed even when the overlay is the only one marked as "show".

Is there a way to force GM to redraw or refresh the display from scratch and thereby show the missing features?

Using GM 15.1.7 64 bit

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DGriffithDGriffith Global Mapper User Posts: 70Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    With more experimenting it is one overlay that is masking the "disappeared" points. When the offending overlay is "shown" and "hidden" again the "disappeared" points reappear. The offending overlay is a .csv file with points that use the same symbols as those on the overlay that disappears. This is probably something that should be fixed?

David
  • Josie_BMGJosie_BMG Global Mapper User Posts: 71
    edited August 2014
    Hi David, That is certainly an interesting issue. Can you update the application to the most recent build and see if the problem persists?

You can download the most recent build of Global Mapper v15.2 here: Global Mapper Downloads

Please let us know if that works.

Thanks!
    Josie
    edited August 2014
    Josie,

Tried that and had the same result using GM 15.2 64 bit. More experimenting shows that it appears to happen after exiting and then restarting GM.

David
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2014
    David,

Can you provide the CSV file and workspace with User Created Features to demonstrate this? Also what do you have checked for the Vector Layer Order During Draw setting on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog? That could affect what order overlapping features are drawn in.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited August 2014
    Mike,

Attached are the files TestHidden.csv and TestHidden.gmw that illustrate the problem. I found that that the problem only occurs when I select "Create New Layer for Feature". It does not occur if I leave it at the default "User Created Features". Strangely it does not affect the MineRed symbols, only the MineBlack symbols.

To duplicate the problem open the TestHidden.gmw file. Towards the left there should be two MineRed points called Hidden2 and Hidden3. Then hide overlay TestHidden.csv. In the same area as the two MineRed points the two MineBlack points called Hidden0 and Hidden1 will appear. When you then show the overlay TestHidden.csv again the four Hidden points all show and will continue to show until you exit GM, start it again, and reopen the .gmw file.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    David
  • samknightsamknight BMG Staff Posts: 88
    edited August 2014
    Hello David,
    I've been able to replicate the behavior of those two point hiding on initial display. I've also noticed if you do any sort of Pan or Zoom operation the points do snap on and stay as well. We'll have a look and see what is causing this under the hood and update this thread if we find a fix. As a workaround, I noticed that if you change your Vector Layer Draw order settings to Use Layer Order first over Type, then the workspace loads as expected. You can find that setting under Configuration>Vector Display.

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited August 2014
    David,

I took a look and was able to find the root cause of the issue and fix it. I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper15
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper15_64bit

anks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Mike. That fixed it.

David