Global Mapper Pro

3d pdf - enable measuring tool access for Acrobat Reader

MattPGreen
MattPGreen Global Mapper User
edited August 2014 in Suggestion Box
Hi
I'm 1st day in Forum and my apologies if this is old stuff - I tried exporting to 3d pdf and the output is excellent in acrobat reader.
But - the Edit-Analysis-Measuring Tool is grayed out.
From a quick scan in Acrobat forums... it seems there is a required setting to be established at time of publishing. But this is not exposed to the Global Mapper user.
Can someone please check/advise on this matter?
Thanks, Matt

Comments

• PShorey
    PShorey Global Mapper Developer Moderator, Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Hi Matt,

The measurement tool should be enabled, though it is of limited use with a 3D model. When enabled, you will have to manually set the measurement units in Adobe since the U3D data format of the attachment has no provision to pass along unit information.

To help us figure out why the measurement tool is disabled in your case, could you answer these questions:

- On the 3D PDF Export Options page, did you check "Use Adobe ISO 32000 Extensions"?

- What global (configuration) projection are you using?

- Could you provide a link to the Adobe forum post you referred to?
  • MattPGreen
    edited July 2014
    Hi Peter,
    thanks for the quick response.
    Yes - "I checked the Use Adobe ISO 32000 Extensions"
    I have the global (configuration) projection set to Australian AGD84 - planar units meters

This 1st link refers to 3D measurement - quite useful for multiple end-user queries of the 3D model in PDF - eg. I've a model of an outdoor path - I can rotate and quickly see the elevation change from top to bottom - I'd like to measure that....also I'd like to measure the area of brickwork etc

Adobe Acrobat X Pro * Measure 3D objects

This link refers to the need for the PDF creator to turn on the Measuring Tool functionality at time of publishing

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/grids-guides-measurements-pdfs.html

Thanks again, Matt

PShorey wrote: »
    Hi Matt,

The measurement tool should be enabled, though it is of limited use with a 3D model. When enabled, you will have to manually set the measurement units in Adobe since the U3D data format of the attachment has no provision to pass along unit information.

To help us figure out why the measurement tool is disabled in your case, could you answer these questions:

- On the 3D PDF Export Options page, did you check "Use Adobe ISO 32000 Extensions"?

- What global (configuration) projection are you using?

- Could you provide a link to the Adobe forum post you referred to?
  • MattPGreen
    edited July 2014
    ps - I just went back trying to find where to set the units in the PDF - I see that under the Document Properties-Description section the PDF Producer is Global Mapper and the PDF Version is 1.5 (Acrobat 6.x) ... could this require updating to gt the functionality?
  • PShorey
    edited July 2014
    Matt,

I have not been able to reproduce the issue. The Measuring Tool menu option is always enabled for me (Reader XI). My thought is maybe the projection you are using isn't getting encoded correctly in the PDF. Do you have the same problem if exported to 2D PDF? If ISO 32000 Extensions unchecked? Could you provide an example of a PDF that you cannot enable the tool for?
  • MattPGreen
    edited July 2014
    PShorey wrote: »
    Matt,

I have not been able to reproduce the issue. The Measuring Tool menu option is always enabled for me (Reader XI). My thought is maybe the projection you are using isn't getting encoded correctly in the PDF. Do you have the same problem if exported to 2D PDF? If ISO 32000 Extensions unchecked? Could you provide an example of a PDF that you cannot enable the tool for?

Hi Peter - can you pls give me an email address and I'll transfer the file to you - its 38MB.
    Thanks, Matt ... ps - I'm saving a 2D test right now but strangley it's indicating that I'll take an hr to save while the 3D save was only a couple on minutes??
  • MattPGreen
    edited July 2014
    Hi Peter - FIXED

I was running Reader X (10.1.10) (very recently installed) .... checking for updates from within Reader said no updates available. BUT - checking directly on Adobe site found version XI for download - this done has now enabled Measuring.
    Thanks for checking this and sorry for your wasted time.
    regards, Matt
  • PShorey
    edited August 2014
    No worries. Good to know what the problem was.