Global Mapper Pro

3D water level increment not working

Ice Age Mark
Ice Age Mark Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2014 in Bug Report
Hello there,

The 3D water level increment setting seems to not be working for me.

It should be easily reproducible. Thanks for taking a look.

Mark

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2014
    Mark,

What version are you using? I just tried in the latest and they worked fine. You couldn't see the change until the water got in to the range of elevations you are viewing. Also check the 3D view options dialog and see what the Water Level Increment value is set to. Maybe that is very small so the change is not noticeable.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    What I'm seeing is that the Water Level Increment value in the dialog doesn't apply to the water level change given by the toolbar buttons until OK or Apply in the dialog has been pressed. Is that what you're referring to, Mark?
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Hello there gentlemen,

Here's what I am experiencing.

I have my DEM and open the 3D view. I check the box to display water level, and move the water level slider all the way left. The elevation box reads 1282.224 ft. (which I believe should be the lowest elevation in the 3D area view), and I see water there. I put 2 ft. in the level increment box and press apply. Then whether I use the scroll arrows or the mouse wheel, the water level box reads 1282.224, 1297.869, 1313.515... - i.e. changing 15.64 ft. (?) per increment. It seems like the water display is changing only by this increment as well, e.g. using 100' still looks like about 16' of change visually.

When I change the increment and press apply, the increment change in the box is still 15.64 ft. It doesn't change whether I put 1' or 100'.

I'm not using the toolbar buttons.

Global Mapper v15.2.6 (b070714) [64-bit] - REGISTERED

Sorry, I always forget to add this even with the new handy copy to clipboard feature. I can get a later build if you think this changed recently.

Thanks much,

Mark
  • Ice Age Mark
    edited July 2014
    OK, after more checking, the increment setting works using the toolbar buttons, but not with the mouse wheel or scroll buttons - but then, perhaps it wasn't intended to?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2014
    Mark,

The mouse wheel should zoom in and out on the 3D view, it is not tied to the water level on the main 3D display. On the 3D view options dialog if the water level slider has focus it will adjust it there.

Based on your other thread I think we will add some kind of new shortcut key option to adjust the water level on the main 3D display, or maybe even a water level slider right on the 3D toolbar, that way you don't need to bring up the 3D view options dialog to change it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Ice Age Mark
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Mike and Jeff. It's no big deal, and I can use the toolbar buttons for now. I just was looking at an area using the mouse wheel and got into some flatter relief, and then it seemed to not be working as I thought it might. The changes you mentioned would be nice.

Mark
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Hi Mark (and Mike),

OK, I think that we can offer a couple of pretty easy changes for this functionality. I've added the following to the GM 16 repetoire:

* Mouse wheel: Currently, the mouse wheel normally controls zoom in/out of the 3D view (with Ctrl- and Shift- keys as modifiers that raise or lower the zoom amount). I changed it so that when the Alt- key is pressed, the mouse wheel raises/lowers water level instead, with one 'click' on the mouse wheel signifying a delta of the configured water level increment setting, and also retaining Ctrl- and Shift- as modifiers of the increment amount.

* Hot keys : the number pad '+' and '-' keys in the 3D view now raise and lower the water level, by the water level increment setting. The Ctrl- / Shift- key modifiers adjust the increment amount, as above. I also added the the 'L' key as a toggle for the water Level display enable.

If Mike agrees, we can easily add this to the GM 15.2 stream as well.

regards,

~Jeff