Global Mapper Pro

Automatic update of externally modified files

DGriffith
DGriffith Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2014 in Suggestion Box
Currently GM does not automatically update overlays that have been modified externally. The externally modified overlay may be another GM file such as a .gmw. It is currently necessary to unload them, then reload them, which makes it more likely that one is not using the latest information. I know it is on your "to do list" so this is just another vote to up its priority.

Also it would be helpful if the Groups in externally created or modified overlays were maintained when loaded into another .gmw file.

Thanks for your consideration.
David

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2014
    David,

I have added this to the todo list as item #13935 and targeted it for the upcoming v16.0 release.

The group names for a layer are stored in the .gmw file, so another .gmw file wouldn't know anything about them. In fact you might have the same file referenced in different workspaces in different groups, or even have the same file loaded multiple times in the same workspace with different group names (i.e. perhaps different styles are used for each instance and you want to quickly turn them on and off), so it isn't practical to have just a single group name for a file across workspaces.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2014
    David,

I thought I would mention, the new option to refresh externally modified files would maintain the group name in that case as it would save the file temporarily to its own workspace, including its group name and other options, then immediately close the loaded layer and replace with the new one from the workspace.

As a bonus, I think I can have layers automatically check to see if the file they were loaded from was modified since they were loaded and visually indicate that somehow in the Control Center.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • DGriffith
    DGriffith Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    I think we are on the same page. AutoCAD does all this automagically when another file is attached to the primary drawing file as an "external reference". In the list of layers (overlays) the layer name is the file name + "|" + the layer name in the external reference. So for example if there is a layer named "Peanut Butter" in a file named "Sandwich", and the Sandwich file is an external reference to a file named "Lunch", the Peanut Butter layer in the Sandwich file would show in the layer list as "Sandwich|Peanut Butter". The layer characteristics such as colors and line types etc. are initially those of the Sandwich file, but can be changed in the Lunch file without affecting the Sandwich file.

I have always been impressed by yours and GM's support for your users and want to express my thanks.
    David