Global Mapper v25.0

Feature Layer call out

Doe
Doe Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2014 in Technical Support
Hi,

I am using Global Mapper v15.2.5 (b062514) [64-bit] [+GEM] - REGISTERED. When I created a line feature layer (not type), I use to be able to assign the direct name to it. If it fell under a Group (as I assigned it) then that is where it ended up. I am digitizing geologic maps by a variety of different workers who all used various nomenclature for these units - a problem I'll need to sort in the future.

In this new install of GM, when I create a line and assign the lithologic name (per the map) I am unable to find the original line call-out because I now have to know what Group it was assigned. Is there any way to return the system to the earlier mode where the Feature Layer name was used first, without the Group name being involved?

Mike

Comments

• Doe
    Doe Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Some additional notes. I noticed that my original feature layer assignments are now listed under "Custom Descriptions". So if I want to display the distribution of Feature Layer 'QTs' in the Overlay Control Center, I can't. The Feature Layer name is now a Custom Description. I need to have the Custom Description listed as the original Feature Layer. In the Control Center, 'QTs' is now lumped along with ca. 1500 other feature layers under a former Group name called 'Quat-Tert'. Is this a recoverable situation or will I need to go my last back-up, in the earlier version of GM, and do something to prep for the conversion that apparently will happen when I open the file in Global Mapper v15.2.5 (b062514) [64-bit] [+GEM].
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2014
    I have added a new right-click menu on the feature edit dialogs so you can right-click on the layer drop-down and toggle whether the group name is prepended or appended to the layer name, allowing you to switch the setting and then find the layers by layer name, but still see what group the layer is in so you can differentiate layers with the same names in different groups.

I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper15
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper15_64bit

I'm not quite sure I follow the second question. The new updates to support multiple levels of grouping in the Control Center shouldn't affect any existing workspaces. They should still come in as before.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Doe
    edited July 2014
    Mike,

I have downloaded the 64 bit zip file and installed it. However, the program won't launch because it can't find a file called zfs.dll
  • Doe
    edited July 2014
    Mike I have uninstalled and reinstalled both versions (32 and 64 bit) of the software. When I extract the new builds to the directories I get the zfs.dll missing error. Wonder if it is a problem with how the new builds were compiled?

MIke
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2014
    Oops I had just added support for a new format requiring the DLL and didn't add it to the zips. The zfs.dll is there now.

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Doe
    edited July 2014
    Mike,

I successfully installed the updated version. The right-mouse option works. However, when I type in the letters of the feature layer the layer name does not come up. It's in there, but the typing, done quickly, does not bring it up. It looks like it finds the first one in natural order. BTW, would it be possible to order the feature layer names? Also, I noticed that an asterisk prepends some of the feature layer names, will that cause any issues when recalling a name?

Mike
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2014
    Mike,

I have re-ordered the layers so that the normal layers are first and sorted alphabetically and the quick typing should be able to reach those without issue. Now the User Created Features and option to create a new layer are at the bottom rather than the top of the list.

The asterisk means that a layer is hidden or not selectable. Those layers should sort together separate from the visible and selectable layers.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Doe
    edited July 2014
    Mike,

Thanks for making the adjustments. It is still presenting a little confusion to me. When I select a contact on my map that has a Feature Type and Feature Layer assigned I notice that the Feature Type is shown but that the Feature Layer is not (it reads <User Created Features). However, I do see the Feature Layer listed under Feature Description. Shouldn't a line that already has a Feature Layer name assigned to it (now also called a Feature Description) be indicated as such in the Feature Layer drop-down (as it did in earlier versions)?

Mike
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2014
    Mike,

Looks like I missed a spot in my initial layer selection logic. Should be better now.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Doe
    edited July 2014
    Hi Mike,

This latest version is close. When I draw a line and try to assign a feature layer that is already created by typing in the first few letters the dropdown goes to the last line I selected manually. I tried a combination of letters as a test to see if that tool was working and it seems to not be working. I can scroll through the list and find what I need but it is more time consuming.

I also have a question about the Custom Description. Is this tied to the Layer and/or Name attributes or were those attributes used to initially populate this new field? I noticed that if I assigned a new Layer or Name that the Custom Description does not reflect the change.

Mike
  • Doe
    edited July 2014
    Mike,

It is really close. I notice that, unlike the Feature Type, the Feature Layer only accepts the first letter. For example, if I want to pull up "Pk" I would usually, within the a couple seconds, type a "P" and then a "k" to zero in on the term "Pk". Instead, it find the first occurrence of "P" and then the first occurrence of "K".

Mike
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2014
    Mike,

I'll see if I can do anything about the letter-based lookup. That is actually automatic behavior from Windows, but because the list is not sorted as far as Windows knows it may not work. We do sort the layer names alphabetically internally, but the special options like adding a new layer and User Created features are always at the same place in the list so you can quickly find them, but it may not be alphabetical.

The feature description defaults to the feature type name, but if you load a file format that has a separate description field it may be different than the type. You can now actually change it which was never possible until recently.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Doe
    edited July 2014
    Mike,

It is really close. Unlike the Feature Type dropdown where the first few letters (if entered within a couple seconds) will directly find the Feature Type. The Feature Layer only finds the first letter. For example, if I want to find "Pk" I enter the "P" and it finds the "P" but when enter "k" it finds the first "K".
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2014
    Mike,

I've re-enabled the sorting for the layer control which should allow the multi-letter search to work again. I changed the hidden/non-selectable layers to have <X> rather than * in front so they sort to the end in nearly all cases. The special 'User Created Features' layer now has <> around it to make it different than the others and sort towards the end.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Doe
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Mike. It is working fine.

Mike